Free printable and online worksheets to help Grade 6 students practice dividing whole numbers by fractions.
We have four groups of dividing fractions worksheets.
Divide Fractions by Whole Numbers
Divide Whole Numbers by Fractions
Divide Fractions by Fractions
Divide Mixed Numbers
There are also some worksheets and dividing fraction word problems for online practice.
How to divide a fraction by a whole number?
Steps to divide a whole number by a fraction:
- Rewrite the whole number as a fraction by placing it over 1. For example, if you have 5, you can write it as 5/1.
- Flip the fraction you want to divide by, which means swapping the numerator and the denominator. For example, if you want to divide by 3/4, you flip it to get 4/3.
- Multiply the fractions. For example, multiplying 5/1 and 4/3 gives you (5/1) × (4/3) = 20/3.
- Simplify the fraction if necessary. If the numerator and denominator have a common factor, divide both by that factor.
- If the numerator is greater than the denominator you can express the answer as a mixed number by dividing the numerator by the denominator. In our example, 20 divided by 3 equals 6 with a remainder of 2, so the answer can be expressed as 6 2/3.
Have a look at this video if you need to review how to divide a whole number by a fraction.
Click on the following worksheet to get a printable pdf document.
Scroll down the page for more Divide Whole Number by Fraction Worksheets.
More Divide Whole Number by Fraction Worksheets
Divide Whole Number by Fraction Worksheet
(Answers on the second page.)
Divide Whole Number by Fraction
Divide Fractions Word Problems
- A construction company is setting up signs on 4 miles of the road. If the company places a sign every 1/8 of a mile, how many signs will it need?
- George bought 12 pizzas for a birthday party. If each person will eat 3/8 of a pizza, how many people can George feed with pizzas?
- The Lopez family has adopted 6 miles of trail on the Erie Canal. If each family member cleans up 3/4 of a mile, how many family members will be needed to clean the adopted section?
- Margo is freezing 8 cups of strawberries. If this is 2/3 of the total strawberries that were picked, how many cups of strawberries did Margo pick?
- Regina is chopping up wood. She has chopped 10 logs so far. If the 10 logs represent 5/8 of all the logs that need to be chopped, how many logs need to be chopped in all?
More Fraction Word Problems
Lesson on dividing fractions
More Printable Worksheets
Try the free Mathway calculator and
problem solver below to practice various math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own
problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.
We welcome your feedback, comments and questions about this site or page. Please submit your feedback or enquiries via our Feedback page.