Videos and solutions to help Grade 6 students learn how to divide a whole number by a fraction using visual models.
Group 1: How many half-miles are in miles?
Group 2: How many quarter hours are in hours?
Group 3: How many one-third cups are in cups?
Group 4: How many one-eighth pizzas are in pizzas?
Group 5: How many one-fifths are in wholes?
Write the division question that was answered in each model.
What multiplication question could the model also answer?
Write the question given to each group as a multiplication question.
Molly used cups of flour to bake bread. If this was 3/4 of the total amount of flour she started with, what was the original amount of flour?
a. Create a model to represent what the question is asking for.
b. Explain how you would determine the answer using the model.
1. A construction company is setting up signs on 4 miles of the road. If the company places a sign every 1/8 of a mile, how many signs will it need?
2. George bought 12 pizzas for a birthday party. If each person will eat 3/8 of a pizza, how many people can George feed with pizzas?
3. The Lopez family has adopted miles of trail on the Erie Canal. If each family member cleans up 3/4 of a mile, how many family members will be needed to clean the adopted section?
4. Margo is freezing 8 cups of strawberries. If this is 2/3 of the total strawberries that were picked, how many cups of strawberries did Margo pick?
5. Regina is chopping up wood. She has chopped 10 logs so far. If the 10 logs represent 5/8 of all the logs that need to be chopped, how many logs need to be chopped in all?
Try the free Mathway calculator and
problem solver below to practice various math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own
problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.
We welcome your feedback, comments and questions about this site or page. Please submit your feedback or enquiries via our Feedback page.