Free printable and online worksheets to help Grade 6 students practice dividing fractions by whole numbers.
We have four groups of dividing fractions worksheets.
Divide Fractions by Whole Numbers
Divide Whole Numbers by Fractions
Divide Fractions by Fractions
Divide Mixed Numbers
There are also some worksheets and dividing fraction word problems for online practice.
How to divide a fraction by a whole number?
Steps to divide a fraction by a whole number:
- Rewrite the whole number as a fraction with a denominator of 1. For example, if you want to divide the fraction 2/3 by the whole number 4, you would write 4 as the fraction 4/1.
- Flip the second fraction by swapping the numerator and denominator. In our example, the fraction 4/1 becomes 1/4.
- Cancel any common factors in the numerators and denominators. Multiply the numerators together and the denominators together. Simplify the resulting fraction if possible.
In our example, we have:
2/3 ÷ 4/1 = 2/3 x 1/4
Cancel common factors and we get:
2/3 ÷ 4/1 = 2/3 x 1/4 = 1/3 x 1/2
Multiplying the numerators gives 1 x 1 = 1, and multiplying the denominators gives 3 x 2 = 6.
Therefore, 2/3 divided by 4 is equal to 1/6.
Have a look at this video if you need to review how to multiply fractions with canceling.
Click on the following worksheet to get a printable pdf document.
Scroll down the page for more Divide Fraction by Whole Number Worksheets.
More Divide Fraction by Whole Number Worksheets
Divide Fraction by Whole Number Worksheet
(Answers on the second page.)
Divide Fraction by Whole Number
Divide Fractions Word Problems
- Sally has 3/4 gallons of milk. She wants to divide the milk equally among 3 friends. How much milk will each friend receive?
- Teams of four are competing in a quarter-mile relay race. Each runner must run the same exact distance.
What is the distance each teammate runs?
- Larry spends 2/3 of his workday teaching piano lessons. If he sees 6 students, each for the same amount of time, what fraction of his workday is spent with each student?
Lesson on dividing fractions
More Printable Worksheets
Try the free Mathway calculator and
problem solver below to practice various math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own
problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.
We welcome your feedback, comments and questions about this site or page. Please submit your feedback or enquiries via our Feedback page.