There are five sets of solving 2-step equation worksheets:
Examples, solutions, videos, and worksheets to help Grade 6 and Grade 7 students learn how to solve two-step equations (with negative answers)
How to solve two-step equations?
There are two sets of solving two-step equations worksheets (negative answers).
- Solve 2-step equations using division.
- Solve 2-step equations using multiplication.
These are the steps to solve two-step equations:
- Determine the operations: Look at the equation and identify the operations being performed on the variable. It could involve addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division.
- Undo addition or subtraction: Perform the inverse operation of addition or subtraction to isolate the variable term. If there’s addition, subtract the constant term from both sides of the equation. If there’s subtraction, add the constant term to both sides.
- Undo multiplication or division: Perform the inverse operation of multiplication or division to isolate the variable. If there’s multiplication, divide both sides of the equation by the coefficient of the variable. If there’s division, multiply both sides by the reciprocal of the coefficient.
- Simplify and solve.
- Check your solution: After solving the equation, substitute the value back into the original equation to verify if it satisfies the equation. If it does, then you have found the correct solution. If not, review your steps and check for any errors.
Simplify and solve: Simplify both sides of the equation by performing any necessary arithmetic operations. Finally, determine the value of the variable by solving the simplified equation.
Example: Solve the equation 3x + 5 = -16.
- Determine the operations: The operations involved are addition and multiplication.
- Undo addition: To isolate the variable term, we need to undo the addition. Subtract 5 from both sides of the equation:
3x + 5 - 5 = -16 - 5
3x = -21
- Undo multiplication: To further isolate the variable, we need to undo the multiplication. Divide both sides of the equation by 3:
(3x)/3 = -21/3
x = -7
- Simplify and solve: The equation is now simplified to x = -7.
- Check your solution by substituting it back into the original equation to ensure it satisfies the equality.
It’s important to remember that whatever operation you perform on one side of the equation, you must also perform on the other side to maintain equality.
Have a look at this video if you need to review how to solve 2-step equations.
Click on the following worksheet to get a printable pdf document.
Scroll down the page for more Two-Step Equations Worksheets.
More Two-Step Equation Worksheets
(Answers on the second page.)
2-Step Equations Worksheet #1 (multiplication)
2-Step Equations Worksheet #2 (division)
Online or Generated
Solving 2-Step Equations
Solve Two-Step Equations
Solve 2-step Equations
More Printable Worksheets
Try the free Mathway calculator and
problem solver below to practice various math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own
problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.
We welcome your feedback, comments and questions about this site or page. Please submit your feedback or enquiries via our Feedback page.