Videos, solutions, worksheets, stories and songs to help Grade 6 students learn how to compare and order rational numbers. A rational number is any number that can be written as a fraction.
More Lessons for Grade 6 Math
More Lessons on Numbers
Rational & Irrational Number Games
How to compare rational numbers?
We will learn three methods for comparing rational numbers.
1. Cross-multiply and compare the products.
2. Convert both fractions to fractions with a common denominator.
3. Turn both fractions into decimals by dividing.
Comparing and Ordering Rational Numbers
This video describes three methods of comparing rational numbers to each other ("greater than" or "less than"), and how to order rational numbers from least-to-greatest or greatest-to-least.
1. Multiply the numerator of the first fraction with denominator of the second fraction.
2. Multiply the numerator of the second fraction with denominator of the first fraction.
3. Check the products to see which answer is larger.
Common Denominator Method
1. Find a common denominator for each fraction.
2. Create equivalent fractions with the common denominator.
3. Compare the numerators.
Fractions to Decimals Method
1. Convert each fraction into a decimal value by dividing the numerator by the denominator.
2. Compare the decimal values.
How to Compare and Order Rational Numbers?
How to compare rational numbers using a number line?
Look at the rational numbers below. Order them from least to greatest.
1/2, -5, 3.3, 0, 21/12, -5.5, 2 1/8
Comparing and ordering rational numbers
4 1/5, -3.6, -3 8/9, 0
Comparing and ordering rational numbers by converting to decimals
3/8, 4/9, 7/12, 7/15
0.6. 0.84, 87/100, 1 7/9, 11/6, 2.5
Ordering three rational numbers (decimal, percent, fraction) from least to greatest
Order the following number from least to greatest
0.7, 7%, 3/4
Try the free Mathway calculator and
problem solver below to practice various math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own
problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.
We welcome your feedback, comments and questions about this site or page. Please submit your feedback or enquiries via our Feedback page.