Plans and Worksheets for Grade 5
Plans and Worksheets for all Grades
Lessons for Grade 5
Common Core For Grade 5
Videos, solutions and examples to help grade 5 students learn how to construct a coordinate system on a line.
New York State Common Core Math Grade 5, Module 6, Lesson 1
Lesson 1 Concept Development
Problem 1: Create a number line by choosing a unit length, an origin, and a direction of increase.
Problem 2: On the number line created above, partition unit
lengths into fractional units, and label those fractions.
Problem 3: Identify the coordinate of a given shape placed on a number line.
Lesson 1 Problem Set
1. Each shape was placed at a point on the number line S. Give the coordinate of each point below.
2. Plot the points on the number lines.
3. Number line G is labeled from 0 to 6. Use number line G below, to answer the questions.
a. Plot point at 3/4.
b. Label a point that lies at 4 1/2 as B.
c. Label a point, C, whose distance from zero is 5 more than that of A.
The coordinate of C is ______.
d. Plot a point, D, whose distance from zero is 1 1/4 less than that of B.
The coordinate of D is ______.
e. The distance of E from zero is 1 3/4 more than that of D. Plot point E.
f. What is the coordinate of the point that lies halfway between A and D?
Label this point F.
4. Mrs. Fan asked her fifth-grade class to create a number line. Lenox created the number line below:
Parks said Lenox’s number line is wrong because numbers should always increase from left to right. Who
is correct? Explain your thinking.
5. A pirate marked the palm tree on his treasure map and buried his
treasure 30 feet away. Do you think he’ll be able to easily find his
treasure when he returns? Why or why not? What might he do to
make it easier to find?
Lesson 1 Homework
1. Answer the following questions using number line below.
4. Mr. Baker’s fifth-grade class buried a time capsule
in the field behind the school. They drew a map and
marked the location of the capsule with an X so his
class can dig it up in ten years. What could Mr.
Baker have done to make the capsule easier to find?
Try the free Mathway calculator and
problem solver below to practice various math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own
problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.
We welcome your feedback, comments and questions about this site or page. Please submit your feedback or enquiries via our Feedback page.