Writing Expressions (Lesson 16)
Lesson Plans And Worksheets For Grade 6
Common Core For Grade 6
More Lessons For Grade 6
New York State Common Core Math Module 4, Grade 6, Lesson 17
Lesson 17 Student Outcomes
Students write algebraic expressions that record all operations with numbers and letters standing for
Lesson 17 Opening Exercise
Underline the key math vocabulary words in each statement.
a. The sum of twice b and 5.
b. The quotient of c and d.
c. a raised to the fifth power then increased by the product of 5 and c.
d. The quantity of a plus b divided by 4.
e. 10 less than the product of 15 and c.
f. 5 times d increased by 8.
Lesson 17 Classwork
- The sum of a and b.
- Five more than twice a number c.
- Martha bought number of apples and then ate 6 of them.
- 14 decreased by p.
- The total of d and f, divided by 8.
- Rashod scored 6 less than 3 times as many baskets as Mike. Mike scores b baskets.
- The quotient of c and 6.
- Triple the sum of x and 17.
- Gabrielle has b buttons but then lost 6. Gabrielle took the remaining buttons and split them equally
among her 5 friends.
- d doubled.
- Three more than 4 times a number x.
- Mali has c pieces of candy. She doubles the amount of candy she has then gives away 15 pieces.
- f cubed.
- The quantity of 4 increased by a, and then the sum is divided by 9.
- Tai earned 4 points fewer than double Oden’s points. Oden earned p points.
- The difference between d and 8.
- 6 less than the sum of d and 9.
- Adalyn has x pants and shirts. She combined them and sold half of them. How many items did Adalyn sell?
Write an expression using letters and/or numbers for each problem below.
- 4 less than the quantity of 8 times n.
- 6 times the sum of y and 11.
- The square of m reduced by 49.
- The quotient when the quantity of 17 plus p is divided by 8.
- Jim earned j in tips, and Steve earned s in tips. They combine their tips and then split them equally.
- Owen has c collector cards. He quadruples the number of cards he has and then combines them with Ian,
who has i collector cards.
- Rae runs 4 times as many miles as Madison and Aaliyah combined. Madison runs m miles, and Aaliyah
runs a miles.
- By using coupons, Mary Jo is able to decrease the retail price of her groceries, g, by $125.
- To calculate the area of a triangle, you find the product of the base and height and then divide by 2.
- The temperature today was 10 degrees colder than twice yesterday’s temperature, t.
Try the free Mathway calculator and
problem solver below to practice various math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own
problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.
We welcome your feedback, comments and questions about this site or page. Please submit your feedback or enquiries via our Feedback page.