Videos to help Grade 6 students
write algebraic expressions that record all operations with numbers and letters standing for the
Learn how to convert words into algebraic expressions.
New York State Common Core Math Module 4, Grade 6, Lesson 17
Plans and Worksheets for Grade 6
Plans and Worksheets for all Grades
Lessons for Grade 6
Common Core For Grade 6
Lesson 17 Student Outcomes
Students write algebraic expressions that record all operations with numbers and letters standing for the numbers.
Lesson 17 Opening Exercise
Underline the key math vocabulary words in each statement.
a. The sum of twice b and 5.
b. The quotient of c and d.
c. a raised to the fifth power then increased by the product of 5 and c.
The quantity of a plus b divided by 4.
e. 10 less than the product of 15 and c.
f. 5 times d increased by 8.
Lesson 17 Classwork
1. The sum of a and b.
2. Five more than twice a number c.
3. Martha bought number of apples and then ate 6 of them.
1. 14 decreased by p.
2. The total of d and f, divided by 8.
3. Rashod scored 6 less than 3 times as many baskets as Mike. Mike scores b baskets.
1. The quotient of c and 6.
2. Triple the sum of x and 17.
3. Gabrielle has b buttons but then lost 6. Gabrielle took the remaining buttons and split them equally among her 5
1. d doubled.
2. Three more than 4 times a number x.
3. Mali has c pieces of candy. She doubles the amount of candy she has then gives away 15 pieces.
1. f cubed.
2. The quantity of 4 increased by a, and then the sum is divided by 9.
3. Tai earned 4 points fewer than double Oden’s points. Oden earned p points.
1. The difference between d and 8.
2. 6 less than the sum of d and 9.
3. Adalyn has x pants and shirts. She combined them and sold half of them. How many items did Adalyn sell?
Write an expression using letters and/or numbers for each problem below.
1. 4 less than the quantity of 8 times n
2. 6 times the sum of y and 11
3. The square of m reduced by 49
4. The quotient when the quantity of 17 plus p is divided by 8
5. Jim earned j in tips, and Steve earned s in tips. They combine their tips and then split them equally.
6. Owen has c collector cards. He quadruples the number of cards he has and then combines them with Ian, who has i collector cards.
7. Rae runs 4 times as many miles as Madison and Aaliyah combined. Madison runs m miles, and Aaliyah runs a miles.
8. By using coupons, Mary Jo is able to decrease the retail price of her groceries, g, by $125.
9. To calculate the area of a triangle, you find the product of the base and height and then divide by 2.
10. The temperature today was 10 degrees colder than twice yesterday’s temperature, t.
Rotate to landscape screen format on a mobile phone or small tablet to use the Mathway widget, a free math problem solver that answers your questions with step-by-step explanations.
You can use the free Mathway calculator and problem solver below to practice Algebra or other math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.
We welcome your feedback, comments and questions about this site or page. Please submit your feedback or enquiries via our Feedback page.