More Lessons for Grade 11
Examples, videos, worksheets, solutions, and activities to help Algebra students learn how to apply systems of linear equations.
Applications Involving Systems of Equations
1. Find the two numbers for which the sum is 93 and the difference is 9.
2. The perimeter of a rectangle is 160 yd. The width is 4 more than 1/2 the length. Find the length and the width.
3. Sunset rents a 18 ft truck for $49.95 plus 75 cents per mile. Cactus rebts a 18 ft van for $59.95 plus 50 cents per mile. For what mileage is the cost the same?
More Applications Involving Systems of Equations
1. Assume all Phoenix College courses are worth either 3 or 4 credits. The cross country team is taking a total of 40 courses that are worth 144 credits. How many 3-credit courses and how many 4-credit courses are being taken?
2. Hoe Mart charges $3.50 for a CFL light bulb and Supply Depot charges $2.50 for a CFL light bulb that doesn't last quite as long. If your apartment complex lost the invoice, but knew they purchased 300 bulbs and spent $885, how many bulbs were purchased from each store?
3. Ground Works charges $8.00/lb for premium roast coffee and $4.50/lb for value roast coffee. How much of each type should be used to make a 10 lb blend that would cost $5.90/lb?
4. A train leaves Prescott, AZ and travels north to the Grand Canyon at a speed of 25 mph. One and a half hour later, an express train leaves on a parallel track and travels north at 60 mph. How far from the starting station will they meet?
Try the free Mathway calculator and
problem solver below to practice various math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own
problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.
We welcome your feedback, comments and questions about this site or page. Please submit your feedback or enquiries via our Feedback page.