More Lessons for Grade 1
Common Core for Grade 1
Examples, solutions, videos, and songs to help Grade 1 kids learn how to organize, represent, and interpret data with up to three categories; ask and answer questions about the total number of data points, how many in each category, and how many more or less are in one category than in another.
Common Core: 1.MD.4
Suggested Learning Target
Organize and represent data in a graph
- I can organize data in up to three categories.
- I can represent data in up to three categories.
- I can answer questions about the total number of data points and how many data points are in each category.
- I can sort data into separate categories
- I can display data in appropriate graph, such as a picture graph
- I can answer questions about the data such as ‘Which category has more?’ ‘Which category has less?’ ‘What is the favorite snack of our class?’ ‘How many more stickers does Sam have than John?’
What is data?
Step 1: Organize data.
Step 2: Read the data.
Math Sorting and Patterning part 1
Math Sorting and Patterning part 2
Math Sorting and Patterning part 3
Math Sorting and Patterning part 4
Using a Venn Diagram.
Classifying & Sorting
Attributes are words used to describe objects
Color: Purple, Red, White, Blue, Green and so on
Size: Big, Little, Tiny and so on
Texture: Rough, Smooth, Sticky, Soft, Prickly and so on
Shape: Circle, Triangle, Square, Rectangle and so on
Quantity (How many): 1 , 5, 20, 80 and so on.
Using A Tally Chart
This tutorial shows how to use a tally chart to record data from a simple survey.
Using a Picture Graph
Rotate to landscape screen format on a mobile phone or small tablet to use the Mathway widget, a free math problem solver that answers your questions with step-by-step explanations.
You can use the free Mathway calculator and problem solver below to practice Algebra or other math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.
We welcome your feedback, comments and questions about this site or page. Please submit your feedback or enquiries via our Feedback page.