Plans and Worksheets for Grade 5
Plans and Worksheets for all Grades
Lessons for Grade 5
Common Core For Grade 5
Examples, solutions, and lessons to help Grade 5 students learn to use place value understanding to round decimals to any place.
Common Core: 5.NBT.4
Suggested Learning Targets
Place Value - Rounding Decimals (5-NBT-4)
- I can explain how decimals can be rounded and why it's useful.
- I can round decimals to any place.
- I understand why the value of the digit to the right of a number determines whether to round up or down.
Rounding Decimals to the nearest tenth and hundredth using a number line.
Find your number.
Look right next door.
4 or less just ignore.
5 or more, add 1 more.
Rounding Decimals to the nearest tenths
1) Underline the digit in the place being rounded
2) Circle the number to the right. This is the guide number.
3) If the guide number is 5 or higher, round up the underlined digit. If the guide number is less than 5, the underlined digit stays the same.
Estimation with Decimals
Try the free Mathway calculator and
problem solver below to practice various math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own
problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.
We welcome your feedback, comments and questions about this site or page. Please submit your feedback or enquiries via our Feedback page.