A series of free GCSE/IGCSE Physics Notes and Lessons.
In these lessons, we will
• learn how to determine the voltages, resistances and currents in circuit containing resistors in parallel.
• compare resistors in series and resistors in parallel.
Resistors in Series vs. Resistors in Parallel
The following diagram gives the formulas for resistors in series and resistors in parallel. Scroll down the page for more examples and solutions on how to use the formulas.
The following video explains the above formulas for voltage, current and resistance for resistors in series and resistors in parallel.
Resistors in Parallel, Calculating Voltage, Resistance and Current
1. What is the total voltage gain in the circuit?
2. What is the equivalent resistance of the circuit?
3. What is the total current through the circuit?
4. What is the voltage drop across each resistor?
5. What is the current through each resistor?
Rotate to landscape screen format on a mobile phone or small tablet to use the Mathway widget, a free math problem solver that answers your questions with step-by-step explanations.
You can use the free Mathway calculator and problem solver below to practice Algebra or other math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.
We welcome your feedback, comments and questions about this site or page. Please submit your feedback or enquiries via our Feedback page.