Videos and solutions to help Grade 6 students build and clarify the relationship of multiplication and addition by evaluating identities such as 3 • g = g + g + g
New York State Common Core Math Module 4, Grade 6, Lesson 3
Plans and Worksheets for Grade 6
Plans and Worksheets for all Grades
Lessons for Grade 6
Common Core For Grade 6
Write two different expressions that can be depicted by the tape diagram shown. One expression should include
addition, while the other should include multiplication.
1. Write the addition sentence that describes the model and the multiplication sentence that describes the model.
2. Write an equivalent expression to demonstrate the relationship of multiplication and addition.
a. 6 + 6
b. 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 3 + 3
c. 4 + 4 + 4 + 4 + 4
d. 6 × 2
e. 4 × 6
f. 3 × 9
g. h + h + h + h + h
3. Roberto is not familiar with tape diagrams and believes that he can show the relationship of multiplication and
addition on a number line. Help Roberto demonstrate that the expression 3 × 2 is equivalent to 2 + 2 + 2 on a
4. Tell whether the following number sentences are true or false. Then explain your reasoning.
a. x + 6g - 6g = x
b. 2f - 4e + 4e = 2f
5. Write an equivalent expression to demonstrate the relationship between addition and multiplication.
a. 6 + 6 + 6 + 6 + 4 + 4 + 4
b. d + d + d + w + w + w + w
c. a + a + b + b + b + c + c + c + c
Write an equivalent expression to show the relationship of multiplication and addition.
1. 10 + 10 + 10
2. 4 + 4 + 4 + 4 + 4 + 4 + 4
3. 8 × 2
4. 3 × 9
6. d + d + d + d + d
Rotate to landscape screen format on a mobile phone or small tablet to use the Mathway widget, a free math problem solver that answers your questions with step-by-step explanations.
You can use the free Mathway calculator and problem solver below to practice Algebra or other math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.
We welcome your feedback, comments and questions about this site or page. Please submit your feedback or enquiries via our Feedback page.