Common Core for Grade 6
More Lessons for Grade 6
Examples, solutions, videos, and lessons to help Grade 6 students learn to use ratio reasoning to convert measurement units; manipulate and transform units appropriately when multiplying or dividing quantities.
A. Make tables of equivalent ratios relating quantities with whole- number measurements, find missing values in the tables, and plot the pairs of values on the coordinate plane. Use tables to compare ratios
B. Solve unit rate problems including those involving unit pricing and constant speed. For example, if it took 7 hours to mow 4 lawns, then at that rate, how many lawns could be mowed in 35 hours? At what rate were lawns being mowed?
C. Find a percent of a quantity as a rate per 100 (e.g., 30% of a quantity means 30/100 times the quantity); solve problems involving finding the whole, given a part and the percent.
D. Use ratio reasoning to convert measurement units; manipulate and transform units appropriately when multiplying or dividing quantities.
Common Core: 6.RP.3d
Suggested Learning Targets
Component Skills from Previous Grades
- I can apply ratio reasoning to convert measurement units in real-world and mathematical
- I can apply ratio reasoning to convert measurement units by multiplying or dividing in
real-world and mathematical problems.
- I can solve real-world and mathematical problems involving ratio and rate, e.g., by
reasoning about tables of equivalent ratios, tape diagrams, double number line diagrams,
Converting Measurements using Ratios
Understand the concept of a ratio and use ratio language to describe a ratio relationship between two quantities.
Understand the concept of a unit rate a/b associated with a ratio a:b with b ≠ 0, and use rate language in the context of a ratio relationship.
Make tables of equivalent ratios relating quantities with whole-number measurements, find missing values in the tables, and plot the pairs of values on the coordinate plane. Use tables to compare ratios.
Solve unit rate problems including those involving unit pricing and constant speed.
1. Convert 20 feet to inches.
2. Convert 36 yards to inches.
3. Convert 1 1/2 quarts to pints.
4. Convert 15 quarts to gallons.
5. Convert 2640 feet to miles.
6. A cake is 95 feet tall. What is its height in inches?
7. Corey needs 2 gallons of paint to make a mural. If Corey has 6 quarts and 2 pints of paint, will he be able to make his mural?
Using Ratios to Convert Measurement Units
1. 350 cL to Liters
2. 1.5 g to mg
3. 450 miles per hour to yards per min
Ratios - Measurement
How to use ratio tables for changing measurements?
Mr. Rossiter is 6' 1". How tall is he in inches?
Measurement- using ratios (equivalent fractions) to convert
Conversion between units using ratios.
Try the free Mathway calculator and
problem solver below to practice various math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own
problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.
We welcome your feedback, comments and questions about this site or page. Please submit your feedback or enquiries via our Feedback page.