Common Core for Grade 5
More Lessons for Grade 5
Videos, solutions, examples, and lessons to help Grade 5 students learn to solve word problems involving addition and subtraction of fractions referring to the same whole, including cases of unlike denominators, e.g., by using visual fraction models or equations to represent the problem. Use benchmark fractions and number sense of fractions to estimate mentally and assess the reasonableness of answers.
For example, recognize an incorrect result 2/5 + 1/2 = 3/7, by observing that 3/7 < 1/2.
Common Core: 5.NF.2
Suggested Learning Targets
Solve Fraction Word Problems with Visual Bar Models
- I can solve addition and subtraction word problems with fractions.
- I can estimate fractions to make sense of my answer.
Kayla weighed her Halloween treats. She counted 1/4 of a pound of lollipops and 2/7 of a pound of gobstoppers. She also counted 1/3 of a pound of mints. How many pounds of candy did Kayla have altogether?
Add mixed numbers word problems
While gardening, Jan spend 1 3/4 hours planting and 2 1/8 hours trimming. What was the total hours worked by Jan in her garden?
Solve word problems involving addition of fractions - unlike denominators
Matthew ran 1/6 of a mile then took a break before running another 3/4 of a mile. How far did Matthew run in all?
Subtracting Fractions From Whole Numbers
Solve a word problem using bar models.
Example: A craft store has a 9-yard spool of ribbon. In the morning, a customer buys 1/5 yard of ribbon from the spool. In the afternoon, another customer buys 7/10 yard of ribbon from the spool. How much ribbon is left?
Adding and subtracting unlike fractions word problems
1. Drew and Maddy were filling the class raised garden bed with soil. Drew shoveled in 1/3 of a cubic yard, and Maddy shoveled in 1/2 of a cubic yard. How much soil did they put into the garden bed altogether?
2. Caden invited Owen over to his house. Caden shared his chocolate stash from last Halloween. He still had 4/5 of a pound of chocolate. Caden asked Owen how much chocolate he would like. Owen said that he would like 1/3 of a pound of chocolate. How much chocolate does Caden have left?
Adding and subtracting mixed numbers word problems
1. Jaida went gold panning and found 1 1/5 pounds of gold. The next day she found 3 1/4 pound more. How much total gold did Jaida find?
2. Jonathan collected 4 1/2 kilograms of filberts. He gave 2 3/4 kilograms to his friend. How many kilograms of filberts does Jonathan have now?
Try the free Mathway calculator and
problem solver below to practice various math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own
problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.
We welcome your feedback, comments and questions about this site or page. Please submit your feedback or enquiries via our Feedback page.