We can evaluate an algebraic expression for different values of the variable.
To evaluate 3x + 1 for x = −2, we substitute −2 in place of x
3(−2) + 1 = −6 + 1 = −5
Remember to use order of operations to evaluate and be careful with the minus signs.
Evaluating Algebraic Expressions
How to evaluate an algebraic expression when values are given for the variable(s)?
1. Evaluate x + 3 for x = 7
2. Evaluate x2 + x - 3 for x = 2
3. Evaluate y2 + x3 + 7 for y = 2, x = 1
4. Evaluate 5 - x2 for x = -2
5. Evaluate (3x)(5y) for x = -1, y = 2
6. Evaluate -7x2 -5 + y2 - x for x = -2, y = 4
7. Evaluate 3x2 ÷ 12 + y for x = 4, y = -7
Rotate to landscape screen format on a mobile phone or small tablet to use the Mathway widget, a free math problem solver that answers your questions with step-by-step explanations.
We welcome your feedback, comments and questions about this site or page. Please submit your feedback or enquiries via our Feedback page.