Plans and Worksheets for Grade 6
Plans and Worksheets for all Grades
Lessons for Grade 6
Common Core For Grade 6
Examples, solutions, videos, and lessons to help Grade 6 students learn to solve real-world and mathematical problems by graphing points in all four quadrants of the coordinate plane. Include use of coordinates and absolute value to find distances between points with the same first coordinate or the same second coordinate.
Common Core: 6.NS.8
Suggested Learning Targets
Graphing points in all four quadrants on the coordinate plane (6.NS.8)
- I can solve real world problems using graphs on the coordinate plane.
- I can calculate absolute value.
- I can graph points in all four quadrants of the coordinate plane.
- I can solve real-world problems by graphing points in all four quadrants of a coordinate
- I can calculate the distances between two points with the same first coordinate or the
same second coordinate using absolute value, given only coordinates.
Using the Coordinate Plane (6.NS.8)
Rule: The distance of a point to the y-axis is the absolute value of the point's x-coordinate, and its distance to the x-axis is the absolute value of its y-coordinate.
Find Distance on the Coordinate Plane 6.NS.8
What is the relationship between coordinates and distance?
1. Find the distance between Taylor's house and the school.
2. Find the distance between point A and point B on the coordinate plane.
3. Draw a line between each pair of points. Then find the distance between the points.
4. Name the coordinates of two points that have the same coordinates and 8 units apart.
Coordinate plane 6.NS.8
Coordinate plane locations
Coordinate Plane - Find the difference between two points
Find the difference between
a) (-5,2) and (-9,2)
b) (1,-3) and (-4,-3)
c) (3,-5) and (3,2)
Rotate to landscape screen format on a mobile phone or small tablet to use the Mathway widget, a free math problem solver that answers your questions with step-by-step explanations.
You can use the free Mathway calculator and problem solver below to practice Algebra or other math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.
We welcome your feedback, comments and questions about this site or page. Please submit your feedback or enquiries via our Feedback page.