Plans and Worksheets for Grade 5
Plans and Worksheets for all Grades
Lessons for Grade 5
Common Core For Grade 5
Videos, examples, solutions, and lessons to help Grade 5 students learn to apply and extend previous understandings of multiplication to multiply a fraction or whole number by a fraction.
A. Interpret the product (a/b) × q as a parts of a partition of q into b equal parts; equivalently, as the result of a sequence of operations a × q ÷ b. For example, use a visual fraction model to show (2/3) × 4 = 8/3, and create a story context for this equation. Do the same with (2/3) × (4/5) = 8/15. (In general, (a/b) × (c/d) = ac/bd.)
B. Find the area of a rectangle with fractional side lengths by tiling it with unit squares of the appropriate unit fraction side lengths, and show that the area is the same as would be found by multiplying the side lengths. Multiply fractional side lengths to find areas of rectangles, and represent fraction products as rectangular areas.
Common Core: 5.NF.4
Suggested Learning Targets
- I can create story contexts for problems involving multiplication of fractions and whole numbers or multiplication of two fractions.
- I can find the area of a rectangle with fractional side lengths
Find area of rectangle with fractional side lengths (Common Core Standard 5.NF.4b)
5.NF.4b, Area with Fractions
The area is the number of square units needed to cover a surface. It is labeled in units squared.
1. Holly wanted to find the area of her doll's tabletop to make a tablecloth. What is the area of the tabletop?
2. Josh drew a rectangle in his industrial drawing class. He wants to find the area of the rectangle by tiling it with unit squares. What is the appropriate side length for one unit square to tile Josh's rectangle to find the area?
3. Jessica wants to buy a canvas to paint her favorite flower. The canvas in 1 1/2 feet long and 3/4 feet wide. What is the area of Jessica's canvas? Represent your thinking with a rectangular model and an equation.
Find area of rectangle with fraction length and width
Multiplying Fractions Using an Area Model
Visualizing fraction multiplication
Multiply Fractions using Rectangle Models
Try the free Mathway calculator and
problem solver below to practice various math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own
problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.
We welcome your feedback, comments and questions about this site or page. Please submit your feedback or enquiries via our Feedback page.