Multiply - Area Model & Standard Algorithm
Videos to help Grade 5 students learn how to connect visual models and the distributive property to partial products of the standard algorithm without renaming.
Common Core Standards: 5.OA.1,
Plans and Worksheets for Grade 5
Plans and Worksheets for all Grades
Lessons for Grade 5
Common Core For Grade 5
New York State Common Core Math Module 2, Grade 5, Lesson 5
Lesson 5 Concept Development
Problem 1: Represent units using first the tape diagram, then the area model.
21 × 5
Problem 2: Products of two-digit and two-digit numbers, the area model and standard algorithm.
23 × 31
Problem 3: Products of two-digit and three-digit numbers.
343 × 21
231 × 32
Lesson 5 Problem Set
1. Draw an area model and then solve using the standard algorithm. Use arrows to match the partial
products from the area model to the partial products of the algorithm.
a. 34 × 21
b. 434 × 21
Lesson 5 Problem Set
3. Betty saves $161 a month. She saved $141 less each month than Jack. How much will Jack save in 2
4. Farmer Brown feeds 12.1 kg of alfalfa to each of his 2 horses daily. How many kilograms of alfalfa will all
his horses have eaten after 21 days? Draw an area model to solve.
Lesson 5 Homework
This video demonstrates how to create an area model in order to visualize and solve double digit multiplication problems.
1. Draw an area model then solve using the standard algorithm. Use arrows to match the partial products from the area model to the partial products in the algorithm.
a. 24 × 21 = ________________
3. A young snake measures 0.23 m long. During the course of his lifetime, he will grow to be 13 times his current length. What will his length be when he’s full grown?
4. Zenin earns $142 per shift at his new job. During a pay period, he works 12 shifts. What would his pay be for that period?
Rotate to landscape screen format on a mobile phone or small tablet to use the Mathway widget, a free math problem solver that answers your questions with step-by-step explanations.
You can use the free Mathway calculator and problem solver below to practice Algebra or other math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.