More Lessons for Grade 9 Math
Examples, videos, worksheets, solutions, and activities to help Algebra students learn how to solve word problems that involve proportions.
Word Problems Involving Proportions
Two problems showing how to use proportions to solve certain word problems.
(1) Jacob ran 10 miles in 80 minutes. At that rate how far would he run in 2.5 hours?
(2) Mark bought 12 cookies at $2.70. At that rate how much would it cost him to buy 20 cookies?
Algebra Help: Solving Proportion Word Problems
This video demonstrates how to setup and solve a proportion word problem. We must make sure to have the same units in the numerators and the denominators, then we can cross multiply and solve for our unknown.
(1) Biologists tagged 900 rabbits in Bryer Lake national park. At a later date, they found 6 tagged rabbits in a sample of 2000. Estimate the total number of rabbits in Bryer Lake national park.
(2) Mel fills his gas tank with 6 gallons of premium unleaded gas for a cost of $26.58. How much would it cost to fill an 18 gallon tank?
(3) If twelve pairs of jeans cost $513.72, how much would four pairs cost?
(4) If 4 U.S. dollars can be exchanged for 1.75 Euros, how many Euros can be obtained for 144 U.S. dollars?
Proportion Word Problem
How to create a proportion and solve it.
Example: Crayola can make 2400 crayons in 4 minutes. How many can be made in 15 min? How long will it take to make 18,000?
Proportion Word Problems - Math Help
Students learn that a proportion is an equation that states that two ratios are equal. Students then learn the properties of proportion, and are asked to solve for x in given proportions, and to solve word problems involving proportions.
Example: If a car gets 20 miles to the gallon, how many gallons of gas will it use to travel 180 miles?
Try the free Mathway calculator and
problem solver below to practice various math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own
problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.
We welcome your feedback, comments and questions about this site or page. Please submit your feedback or enquiries via our Feedback page.