Videos and solutions to help Grade 3 students learn how to solve word problems to determine perimeter with given side lengths.
Common Core Standards: 3.G.1
Plans and Worksheets for Grade 3
Plans and Worksheets for all Grades
Lessons for Grade 3
Common Core For Grade 3
New York State Common Core Math Module 7, Grade 3, Lesson 15
Clara and Pedro each use four 3-inch by 5-inch cards to make the rectangles below. Whose rectangle has a
Problem 1: Solve perimeter word problems with rectangles.
Mrs. Kozlow put a border around a 5-foot by 6-foot rectangular bulletin board. How many feet of border did Mrs. Kozlow use?
Problem 2: Solve perimeter word problems with regular polygons.
Jason built a model of the Pentagon for a social studies project. He made each outside wall 33 centimeters long. What is the perimeter of Jason’s model Pentagon?
Grade 3 Module 7 Lesson 15 Homework
1. Miguel glues a ribbon border around the edges of a 5-inch by 8-inch picture to create a frame. What is
the total length of ribbon Miguel uses?
2. A building at Elmira College has a room shaped like an octagon. The length of each side of the room is 35
feet. What is the perimeter of this room?
3. Manny fences in a rectangular area for his dog to play in the backyard. The area measures 35 yards by 45
yards. What is the total length of fence that Manny uses?
4. Tyler uses 6 craft sticks to make a hexagon. Each craft stick is 6 inches long. What is the perimeter of
5. Francis made a rectangular path from her driveway to the porch. The width of the path is 2 feet. The
length is 28 feet longer than the width. What is the perimeter of the path?
6. The gym teacher uses tape to mark a 4-square court on the gym floor, as shown. The outer square has
side lengths of 16 feet. What is the total length of tape the teacher uses to mark Square A?
Try the free Mathway calculator and
problem solver below to practice various math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own
problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.
We welcome your feedback, comments and questions about this site or page. Please submit your feedback or enquiries via our Feedback page.