More Lessons for Grade 9 Math
Examples, videos, worksheets, solutions, and activities to help Algebra students learn how to solve word problems that involve area of shapes.
Learn to write and solve polynomial equations for area of a rectangle
Example: The length of a rectangle is 8 more than the width. Its area is 240 sq. ft. Write an equation for its area letting w be the width. Then solve the equation for w and also find the length.
How to solve word problems involving area, area, perimeter, and quadratic equations?
(1) The perimeter of a rectangular concrete slab is 82 feet and its area is 364 square feet. What is the length of the longer side of the slab?
(2) The width of a rectangle is 2 inches less than its length. If the area of the rectangle is 99 square inches, what is its width?
(3) Two of the local ranches are bragging about their ability to use fencing sparingly. Bob says that he was once able to fence in a rectangular pasture of 12,400 square feet with only 440 feet of fencing. Susan says that she was once able to fence in a rectangular pasture of 16,700 square feet with only 520 feet of fencing. Which one is lying?
Word Problems on Area
(1) The length of a page of a book is 2 cm greater than the width of the page. A book designer finds that the length is increased by 2 cm and the width is increased by 1 cm, the area of the page is increased by 19 cm2
What are the dimensions of the original page?
(2) A rectangular picture is 2 cm longer than it is wide. It is mounted in a frame 3 cm wide, The area of the frame is 168 sq. cm, Find the dimensions of the picture.
(3) A rectangular swimming pool is 4 m longer than it is wide. If a sidewalk 2 m wide is placed around the pool, the area covered by the pool and sidewalk is 192 sq. m greater than the area covered by the pool alone. Find the dimensions of the pool.
Area Word Problems - Geometry Help
How to solve word problems using the formulas for the area and perimeter of rectangles and squares?
Example: A rectangle is twice as long as it is wide. If the area of a rectangle is 98 cm2
, find its dimensions.
Rotate to landscape screen format on a mobile phone or small tablet to use the Mathway widget, a free math problem solver that answers your questions with step-by-step explanations.
You can use the free Mathway calculator and problem solver below to practice Algebra or other math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.
We welcome your feedback, comments and questions about this site or page. Please submit your feedback or enquiries via our Feedback page.