Subtract using the Standard Algorithm
Common Core Standards: 4.OA.3,
Plans and Worksheets for Grade 4
Plans and Worksheets for all Grades
Lessons for Grade 4
Common Core For Grade 4
Videos and solutions to help Grade 4 students use place value understanding to fluently decompose to smaller units multiple times in any place using the standard subtraction algorithm, and apply the algorithm to solve word problems using tape diagrams.
New York State Common Core Math Module 1, Grade 4, Lesson 15
NYS Math Module 1 Grade 4 Lesson 15 Concept Development
Regroup units 5 times to subtract.
253,421 - 75,832
Decompose numbers from 1 thousand and 1 million into smaller units to subtract, modeled with number disks.
1,000 – 528
Solve a word problem decomposing units multiple times.
Last year, there were 620,073 people in attendance at a local parade. This year, there were 456,795 people in
attendance. How many more people were in attendance last year?
NYS Math Module 1 Grade 4 Lesson 15 Problem Set
1. Directions: Use the standard subtraction algorithm to solve the problems below.
600,000 - 592,569 =
Directions: Use a tape diagram to solve the problems below. Check your answers.
2. David is flying from Hong Kong to Buenos Aires. The total flight distance is 11,472 miles. If the plane has
7,793 miles left to travel, how far has it already traveled?
3. Tank A holds 678,500 gallons of water. Tank B holds 905,867 gallons of water. How much less water does
Tank A hold than Tank B?
Use Part-Whole Model
NYS Math Module 1 Grade 4 Lesson 15 Homework
1 . Directions: Use the standard subtraction algorithm to solve the problems below.
3. A national monument had 160,747 visitors during the first week of September. A total of 759,656 people
visited the monument in September. How many people visited the monument in September after the first
4. Shadow Software Company earned a total of $800,000 selling programs during the year 2012. $125,300 of
that amount was used to pay expenses of the company. How much profit did Shadow Software Company
make in the year 2012?
Rotate to landscape screen format on a mobile phone or small tablet to use the Mathway widget, a free math problem solver that answers your questions with step-by-step explanations.
You can use the free Mathway calculator and problem solver below to practice Algebra or other math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.