Videos and lessons to help Grade 7 students learn how to compute unit rates associated with ratios of fractions, including ratios of lengths, areas and other quantities measured in like or different units.
For example, if a person walks 1/2 mile in each 1/4 hour, compute the unit rate as the complex fraction 1/2/1/4 miles per hour, equivalently 2 miles per hour
Common Core: 7.RP.1
Suggested Learning Targets
- I can compute unit rates of quantities associated with
ratios of fractions (length, area, & other
- I can use proportional relationships to solve real-world
- I can simplify a rate, unit rate, ratio by dividing.
- I can compute unit rate as a complex fraction.
Common Core for Grade 7
Common Core for Mathematics
More Lessons for Grade 7
Compute unit rates associated with ratios of fractions
Ratios & Unit Rates
Ratio is a comparison between two quantities by division
A rate is a ratio that compares quantities in different units
A unit rate is a rate with a denominator of 1.
1. The table show prices for different packages of index cards. Which size has the lowest unit cost?
2. Convert 30gals/min cups/second. (Hint: 16 cups = 1 gallon)
3. A contractor has a job that requires 540 person-day. How many workers are needed to complete the job in 60 days?
Rate/Unit Rate word problems
1. Express each ratio as a fraction in the simplest form.
2. Express each phrase as a rate and unit rate.
3. An amusement park had 350 people come in over the course of 7 hours. At this rate, how many would they expect to come over 15 hours? What was the rate per hour?
4. Sam can make 15 pizzas in 2.5 hours. At this rate, how many could he make in an 8 hour work day? What is Sam's rate per hour?
5. Over 5 days, Kimberly sheared 300 sheep. How many would she be able to shear in 26 days? What was her rate per day?
Unit Rate Word Problems
1) Find the unit rate if Suzie reads 45 books in 15 days.
2) Tom swims a 1/2 mile every 1/4 hour. How far will he swim in one hour?
3) A 4.5 pound of apples costs $22.50. What is the unit price?
4) How much would you pay for a pint of milk if you bought 5 gallons of milk for $28?
7.RP.1: Ratios and Unit Rates
Quick instruction on ratios and how to calculate unit rates.
Finding Unit Rates by Simplifying Complex Fractions
This video demonstrates two methods of find a unit rate: algebraic and symbolic. This skill directly address CCSS.Math.Content.7.RP.A.1 Compute unit rates associated with ratios of fractions, including ratios of lengths, areas and other quantities measured in like or different units.
William can run 1/2 of mile in 1/10 of an hour. How many miles can he run in one hour?
Rotate to landscape screen format on a mobile phone or small tablet to use the Mathway widget, a free math problem solver that answers your questions with step-by-step explanations.
You can use the free Mathway calculator and problem solver below to practice Algebra or other math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.
We welcome your feedback, comments and questions about this site or page. Please submit your feedback or enquiries via our Feedback page.