More Lessons for the Regents High School Exam
More Lessons for Algebra
High School Math based on the topics required for the Regents
Exam conducted by NYSED. The following are the worked solutions
for the Algebra 2/Trigonometry (Common Core) Regents High School Examination
Algebra 2/Trigonometry Common Core Regents New York State Exam - August 2016, Questions 1 - 39
The following are questions from the past paper Regents High School Algebra 2/Trigonometry, August 2016 Exam (pdf)
Scroll down the page for the step by step solutions.
Algebra 2/Trigonometry - August 2016 Regents - Questions and solutions 1 - 14
1. If the roots of the quadratic equation ax2
+ bx + c = 0 are real, irrational, and unequal, then the value of the discriminant is
2. Factored completely, the expression 16 tanθ - tan3
θ is equivalent to
3. High school officials wanted to assess the need for a new diving board.
They created a survey and distributed it to a large, diverse crowd at
the State Swim Meet held at their school. Which characteristic of
the survey is most likely to create a bias?
4. Which expression is equivalent to cos P cos 50 - sin P sin 50?
5. What is the product of the roots of the quadratic equation 2x2
- x = 4?
6. In which method of data collection does the researcher intentionally
intervene to arrange for a comparison of results?
7. Which equation could be represented by the graph below?
8. The first four terms of the sequence with a1
= 40 and an
= 3/4 an-1
9. Which diagram represents an angle of 7/4 pi; radians in standard position?
10. For all values for which the function is defined, the expression √(a/bc)
is equivalent to
11. The expression (x1/2
is equivalent to
13. Which expression has a value of √3/3?
14. The solution set of -|2x - 9| = -11 is
Algebra 2/Trigonometry - August 2016 Regents - Questions and solutions 15 - 27
15. Which relation is not a function?
16. The expression (1 - sin2
x is equivalent to
17. Which relation is one-to-one?
18. If log a = x and log b = y, then log (ab2
19. For a member of a certain species of bird, the probability of surviving
to adulthood is 4/7. In a nest of five eggs, what is the probability, to
the nearest hundredth, that at least four eggs will survive to adulthood?
20. In triangle XYZ, m∠X = 71, x = 6, and z = 2. How many distinct triangles
can be created with these parameters?
21. Which expression could be used to determine the value of y in
the equation logx
8 = y?
22. An electron travels along a circular path with a radius of 4.6 miles.
What is the number of miles the electron traveled during an interval
when the central angle formed by the electron’s path was 220°?
23. Which statement about the function f(x) = (x-3)/(x+2) is true?
24. Which value of a correlation coefficient represents the strongest
relationship between the two variables in a given linear regression
25. The fourth term of the expansion of (2x - 3)5
26. What are the center and radius of the circle whose equation is
+ 4x = 5?
27. The product of 3
) and 3
√(10m) expressed in simplest radical form is
Algebra 2/Trigonometry - August 2016 Regents - Questions and solutions 28 - 39
28. Jamal has forgotten his password for the school computers. He knows that it must be 4 characters
long (only lowercase letters or digits). He also knows that his password begins with one of
26 letters and ends with a digit. Determine how many different 4-character passwords are
possible for Jamal if no letter or digit may be repeated.
29. Emma’s parents deposited $5000 into a bank account during her freshman year. The account pays
5% interest compounded continuously using the formula A = Pert
, where A is the total amount
accrued, P is the principal, r is the annual interest rate, and t is time, in years.
Determine, to the nearest dollar, the amount in the account 4 years later.
30. Find the common difference in the arithmetic sequence, an
, in which a1
= 16 and a9
31. Solve the equation below algebraically for all values of θ in the interval 0 ≤ θ < 360°.
3 cos θ - 1 = cos θ
32. Bacteria are being grown in a Petri dish in a biology lab. The number of bacteria in the culture
after a given number of hours is shown in the table below. Assuming this exponential trend continues, is it reasonable to expect at least 3500 bacteria at hour 7?
Justify your answer
33. Express in simplest form:
(a/b - b/a) ÷ (b/a - a/b)
34. Determine the exact value of csc P if P is an angle in standard position and its terminal side passes
through the point (5,-8).
35. Determine the number of degrees in 8π/9 radians.
36. Solve for x:
37. Determine algebraically the solution to 4x2
- 5x ≥ 6(5 - 4x).
38. The table below shows the number of hurricanes in the North Atlantic Ocean from 1990 to 2002. Determine the interquartile range for this set of data.
Determine the population variance for this set of data, to the nearest tenth.
39. The Bermuda Triangle on a map is a section of the Atlantic Ocean bordered by line segments
stretching from Miami to Bermuda to Puerto Rico and back to Miami. The distance from Miami
to Bermuda is 1042 miles; the distance from Bermuda to Puerto Rico is 2057 miles; and the distance
from Puerto Rico to Miami is 1127 miles. Find the area contained within the Bermuda Triangle,
to the nearest square mile.
Try the free Mathway calculator and
problem solver below to practice various math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own
problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.
We welcome your feedback, comments and questions about this site or page. Please submit your feedback or enquiries via our Feedback page.