More Lessons for Grade 1
Common Core for Grade 1
Examples, solutions, videos and songs to help Grade 1 kids learn how to subtract multiples of 10 in the range 10-90 from multiples of 10 in the range 10-90 (positive or zero differences), using concrete models or drawings and strategies based on place value, properties of operations, and/or the relationship between addition and subtraction; relate the strategy to a written method and explain the reasoning used.
Common Core: 1.NBT.6
Subtracting tens from tens
- I can subtract a multiple of 10 from a multiple of 10. (e.g., subtract 90 - 40)
- I can explain my strategy for subtracting a multiple of 10 from a multiple of 10.
- I can explain how subtracting by a multiple of ten is related to subtracting the tens digit.
- I know how to use base ten manipulatives, number lines or hundreds charts to model finding 10 less and explain reasoning
- I know the addition and subtraction fact families
- I know how to model subtraction using base ten manipulatives (e.g., base ten blocks, Digi-Blocks, Unifix cubes) and explain the process
- I know how to skip count by 10
10 - 10, 50 - 40, 70 - 20
Subtracting tens from tens / units.
Subtract a Multiple of 10 from a Two-Digit Number
This video explains how to subtract a multiple of 10 from a two-digit number, using concrete models and strategies based on place value. It uses number discs to show students how to solve out the following problems:
54 - 20 = ?
78 - 30 = ?
Try the free Mathway calculator and
problem solver below to practice various math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own
problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.
We welcome your feedback, comments and questions about this site or page. Please submit your feedback or enquiries via our Feedback page.