These lessons help Grade 6 students learn how to recognize a statistical question as one that anticipates variability in the data related to the question and accounts for it in the answers.
Common Core: 6.SP.1
6.SP.1 Statistical Vs. Non-Statistical Questions < The following table gives some examples of statistical questions and non-statistical questions. Scroll down the page for more examples and solutions.
A statistical question is a question that should have different answers.
How to recognize a statistical question?
Identify which questions are statistical and which questions are not statistical.
• What is the favorite menu item for customers in the local restaurant?
• What time do most people eat their lunches?
• What did my dad eat for lunch today?
• What do 7th graders prefer to eat for lunch?
In a survey about practice time per week for high school athletes, 22% practice 1 hour, 40% practice 2 hours, 25% practice 3 hours, 10% practice 4 hours and 3% practice more than 4 hours.
Which one question is the most likely to have produced these results?
• What is the average practice time per week required by your sport?
• How much time do you spend doing homework during the week?
• Is practice time longer on Mondays than Tuesdays?
• Which sport practices the most?
Jessica conducted a survey using a representative sample of 50 customers from three local landscaping businesses in town. She found that 30% purchased maple trees, 24% purchased dogwoods, 20% purchased oaks, 16% purchased pines and 10% chose other types of trees.
Which statements about the survey that Jessica conducted are most likely to be true? Select all that apply.
• Jessica surveyed only the customers who purchased a tree.
• Jessica asked customers what type of tree they purchased.
• Jessica asked customers what type of plants they have in their yards.
• The sample consists of 50 customers from three local landscaping businesses in town.
• The population Jessica wants to know about consists of any customer of any landscaping business.
What Is A Statistical Question?
Definition: A statistical question has answers that will probably vary. Usually a statistical question will ask about a population of multiple people, events or things.
Examples Of Statistical Questions
Examples Of Non-Statistical Questions
Statistical And Non-Statistical Questions
Which of the following are statistical questions?
Statistical Questions - Common Core Standard
Students must know variability refers to the spread of data.
Try the free Mathway calculator and
problem solver below to practice various math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own
problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.
We welcome your feedback, comments and questions about this site or page. Please submit your feedback or enquiries via our Feedback page.