Common Core for Grade 7
Common Core for Mathematics
More Lessons for Grade 7
Videos and lessons to help Grade 7 students understand that rewriting an expression in different forms in a problem context can shed light on the problem and how the quantities in it are related.
For example, a + 0.05a = 1.05a means that “increase by 5%” is the same as “multiply by 1.05.”
Common Core: 7.EE.2
Suggested Learning Targets
Use Distributive Property to Write an Equivalent expression
- I can rewrite an expression in different forms.
- I can explain that an expression written in different
forms can shed light on a problem.
- I can describe the relationship between different
Rewrite an 2(9+5k) and 5(3m+2) using the distributive property.
Use Distributive Property to Write Equivalent Expressions
Learn how to take an expression like 12a+8b and rewrite it using the distributive property.
Using the Distributive Property to Simplify Expressions
Simplify the following expressions using the distributive property.
1. 2(6m + 7)
2. 7(5 + 7b)
3. 4(4n + 3)
4. 8(t + 9)
5. 4(2m + 3) + 6m + 5
6. 3(m + 7) + m + 2
Rewriting Linear Expressions
1. Are the following expressions equivalent? If so, explain how you determined your answer. If not, explain how they differ.
Expression #1: 10(4x) - 5x
Expression #2: 35x
2. Two different clients are bidding on the same house. Client #2 bids 8% more than client #1. The expression x + 0.08x can be used to determine the amount that client #2 bid. Write an expression that is equivalent to the given expression, and explain how it might be more helpful in determining the amount the client #2 bid.
3. A rectangle is 6 inches longer than it is wide. Write and simplify an expression for the perimeter of the rectangle in terms of the width, w.
Compare Expressions (7.EE.A.2)
1. A medicine requires that you take 20 drops of medicine along with an additional 2 drops for every pound that you weigh over 50 lbs. Write an expression to represent the amount of medicine one should take based on your weight 'w'.
2. The goal for the diet is that everyone should lose 1/5 of their body weight. Write an expression for their new weight.
Try the free Mathway calculator and
problem solver below to practice various math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own
problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.
We welcome your feedback, comments and questions about this site or page. Please submit your feedback or enquiries via our Feedback page.