A series of free GCSE/IGCSE Physics Notes and Lessons.
Resistors in Series
In these lessons, we will
• Determine the total resistance of several resistors in series.
• Calculate the current or potential difference in a circuit.
• Describe the total resistance produced by resistors in parallel.
For resistors in series, add together the resistance. The current has to pass through each resistor in turn. It cannot bypass any resistor.
The total resistance of two resistors in parallel is less than the resistance of the smallest individual resistor.
Resistors in Series, Calculating Voltage, Resistance and Current
1. What is the total voltage gain in the circuit?
2. What is the equivalent resistance of the circuit?
3. What is the total current through the circuit?
4. What is the current through each resistor?
Try the free Mathway calculator and
problem solver below to practice various math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own
problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.
We welcome your feedback, comments and questions about this site or page. Please submit your feedback or enquiries via our Feedback page.