Lesson 14: Solving Problems with Rational Numbers
Let’s use all four operations with signed numbers to solve problems.
Illustrative Math Unit 7.5, Lesson 14 (printable worksheets)
Lesson 14 Summary
The following diagram shows how to solve problems using the four operations with rational numbers.
Lesson 14.1 Which One Doesn’t Belong: Equations
Which equation doesn’t belong?
1/2 x = -50
-60t = 30
x + 90 = -100
-0.01 = -0.001x
Lesson 14.2 Draining and Filling a Tank
A tank of water is being drained. Due to a problem, the sensor does not start working until some time into the draining process. The sensor starts its recording at time zero when there are 770 liters in the tank.
- Given that the drain empties the tank at a constant rate of 14 liters per minute, complete the table:
- Later, someone wants to use the data to find out how long the tank had been draining before the sensor started. Complete this table:
- If the sensor started working 15 minutes into the tank draining, how much was in the tank to begin with?
Lesson 14.3 Buying and Selling Power
A utility company charges $0.12 per kilowatt-hour for energy a customer uses. They give a credit of $0.025 for every kilowatt-hour of electricity a customer with a solar panel generates that they don’t use themselves.
A customer has a charge of $82.04 and a credit of -$4.10 on this month’s bill.
- What is the amount due this month?
- How many kilowatt-hours did they use?
- How many kilowatt-hours did they generate that they didn’t use themselves?
Are you ready for more?
- Find the value of the expression without a calculator.
(2)(-30) + (-3)(-20) + (-6)(-10) - (2)(3)(10)
- Write an expression that uses addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division and only negative numbers that has the same value.
Lesson 14 Practice Problems
- A furniture store pays a wholesale price for a mattress. Then, the store marks up the retail price to 150% of the wholesale price. Later, they put the mattress on sale for 50% off of the retail price. A customer just bought the mattress on sale and paid $1,200.
a. What was the retail price of the mattress, before the discount?
b. What was the wholesale price, before the markup?
- The table shows transactions in a checking account.
a. Find the total of the transactions for each month.
b. Find the mean total for the four months.
- A bank charges a service fee of $7.50 per month for a checking account.
A bank account has $85.00. If no money is deposited or withdrawn except the service charge, how many months until the account balance is negative?
- A large aquarium of water is being filled with a hose. Due to a problem, the sensor does not start working until some time into the filling process. The sensor starts its recording at the time zero minutes. The sensor initially detects the tank has 225 liters of water in it.
a. The hose fills the aquarium at a constant rate of 15 liters per minute. What will the sensor read at the time 5 minutes?
b. Later, someone wants to use the data to find the amount of water at times before the sensor started. What should the sensor have read at the time -7 minutes?
- a. A restaurant bill is $21. You leave a 15% tip. How much do you pay including the tip?
b. Which of the following represents the amount a customer pays including the tip of 15% if the bill was dollars? Select all that apply.
The Open Up Resources math curriculum is free to download from the Open Up Resources website and is also available from Illustrative Mathematics.
Try the free Mathway calculator and
problem solver below to practice various math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own
problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.
We welcome your feedback, comments and questions about this site or page. Please submit your feedback or enquiries via our Feedback page.