Plans and Worksheets for Grade 3
Plans and Worksheets for all Grades
Lessons for Grade 3
Common Core For Grade 3
Videos, examples, solutions, and lessons to help Grade 3 students learn to partition shapes into parts with equal areas. Express the area of each part as a unit fraction of the whole. For example, partition a shape into 4 parts with equal area, and describe the area of each part as 1/4 of the area of the shape
Common Core: 3.G.2
Suggested Learning Targets
- I can partition shapes into equal parts.
- I can explain any unit fraction as one part of a whole divided into equal parts.
3 G 2 Lesson 1
In this lesson, you will learn how to partition (divide) into equal parts with equal areas.
3 G 2 Lesson 2
In this lesson, you will learn how to explain any unit fraction (1/b) as one part of a whole divided into b equal parts.
This activity is obtained from Howard County Public School System
Materials and Directions:
- Give each student a fraction (i.e. ¼, ½) and some colored squares (i.e. color tiles).
- Have students create their fraction as a fraction bar using the colored squares.
- Then have students explain their fraction using the characteristics of fractions (equal area, number of total squares (denominator), number of certain colored squares (numerator).
- Observe students making fraction bars.
- Do students have an understanding that fractions have equal areas?
- Do students recognize the characteristics of fractions?
- Explanations can be oral or in written form.
Rotate to landscape screen format on a mobile phone or small tablet to use the Mathway widget, a free math problem solver that answers your questions with step-by-step explanations.
You can use the free Mathway calculator and problem solver below to practice Algebra or other math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.
We welcome your feedback, comments and questions about this site or page. Please submit your feedback or enquiries via our Feedback page.