Plans and Worksheets for Grade 6
Plans and Worksheets for all Grades
Lessons for Grade 6
Common Core For Grade 6
Examples, solutions, videos, and lessons to help Grade 6 students learn how to represent three-dimensional figures using nets made up of rectangles and triangles, and use the nets to find the surface area of these figures. Apply these techniques in the context of solving real-world and mathematical problems.
Common Core: 6.G.4
Suggested Learning Targets
- I can recognize that 3-D figures can be represented by nets.
- I can represent three-dimensional figures using nets made up of rectangles and triangles.
- I can apply knowledge of calculating the area of rectangles and triangles to a net.
- I can combine the areas for rectangles and triangles in the net to find the surface area of a 3-dimensional figure.
- I can solve real-world and mathematical problems involving surface area using nets.
Use nets to represent three-dimensional figures and find surface area (CCSS: 6.G.4)
6.G.4 Surface Area and Nets
How to represent 3-d figures with nets and use the nets to find the surface area?
A net is a flat picture of a 3-d shape.
Surface area is the sum of all the faces of an object.
Find the surface area of a rectangular prism with length 3, width 2 and height 2. Use a net to help.
Nets of 3D-Shapes
What is the net of a shape?
A few example nets together with their 3D counterparts.
Nets of cube, triangular prism, square-based pyramid
Rotate to landscape screen format on a mobile phone or small tablet to use the Mathway widget, a free math problem solver that answers your questions with step-by-step explanations.
You can use the free Mathway calculator and problem solver below to practice Algebra or other math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.
We welcome your feedback, comments and questions about this site or page. Please submit your feedback or enquiries via our Feedback page.