More Lessons for Grade 6
Examples, solutions, videos, worksheets, stories, and songs to help Grade 6 students learn about independent and dependent events in probability.
Independent vs Dependent Events
Understanding the difference between Independent and Dependent events.
Given a bag of 10 marbles where 2 of the marbles are black, what is the probability of pulling a black marble two times in a row?
a) if you put the first marble back in the bag. (Independent Events)
b) if you keep the first marble. (Dependent Events)
Probability-Independent and Dependent Events
Independent events are when two or more events have no effect on the occurrence of each other.
Dependent events are when the occurrence of one event has an effect on the other.
1. What is the probability that a coin is flipped and land heads up and then a face card is pulled from a deck of 52?
2. If a 4 is rolled with a single six-sided die, what is the probability of all three events occurring?
3. What is the probability of two aces being drawn consecutively from a deck of 52 cards?
4. What is the probability of the third card drawn also being an ace?
5. What is the probability of drawing 3 cards at random which are all aces if each card is replaced between each drawing?
6. What is the probability of drawing 3 cards at random which are all aces if the cards are not replaced between drawing?
Try the free Mathway calculator and
problem solver below to practice various math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own
problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.
We welcome your feedback, comments and questions about this site or page. Please submit your feedback or enquiries via our Feedback page.