IGCSE 2021 0620/22 Feb/Mar (pdf)
- Which row about a change of state is correct?
- Gases are separated from liquid air by fractional distillation.
The boiling points of four gases are shown.
Which gas is both monoatomic and a liquid at –200 C?
- Two different food colourings, X and Y, are tested using chromatography.
Three pure dyes, 1, 2 and 3, are also tested.
The chromatogram is shown.
- Which statement about the atoms of all the isotopes of carbon is correct?
A They are all radioactive.
B They have the same mass.
C They have the same number of neutrons.
D They have the same number of electrons in the outer shell.
- Which diagram represents the structure of silicon(IV) oxide?
- Lithium and fluorine react to form lithium fluoride.
A student writes three statements about the reaction.
1 Lithium atoms lose an electron when they react.
2 Each fluoride ion has one more electron than a fluorine atom.
3 Lithium fluoride is a mixture of elements.
Which statements are correct?
- How many electrons are used to form covalent bonds in a molecule of methanol, CH3OH?
- Magnesium oxide has a high melting point.
Carbon dioxide has a low melting point.
Which row identifies the attractive forces that are broken when these compounds are melted?
- The ionic half-equation for the formation of oxygen during the electrolysis of aluminium oxide is
- A compound has the formula XF2 and has a relative mass of 70.
- The diagram shows a section of an overhead power cable.
- During the electrolysis of dilute sulfuric acid, hydrogen is collected at the cathode.
What is the ionic half-equation for this reaction?
- Which row describes an endothermic reaction?
- The equation for the complete combustion of methane is shown.
- Hydrogen fuel cells can be used to power cars.
- The apparatus shown is used to measure the rate of a reaction.
- P is a hydrated metal salt with a blue colour. When P is heated, water is given off, leaving
R is a hydrated metal salt with a pink colour. When R is heated, water is given off, leaving solid S.
Which row gives the name of P and the colour of S?
- Magnesium reacts with copper(II) oxide to give magnesium oxide and copper.
Which substance is the oxidising agent in this reaction?
- Part of the Periodic Table is shown.
Which element forms an acidic oxide?
- When aqueous sodium hydroxide is added to a solution of a metal ion, a grey-green precipitate
forms, which dissolves in excess to form a dark green solution.
What is the identity of the metal ion?
- Which statements about strong acids are correct?
- Metal X reacts with non-metal Y to form an ionic compound with the formula X2Y.
- The table gives some properties of Group IV elements.
- The metal beryllium does not react with cold water.
It reacts with hydrochloric acid but cannot be extracted from its ore by using carbon.
Where is beryllium placed in the reactivity series?
- Why is cryolite used in the extraction of aluminium from bauxite?
- Which statements about the uses of metals are correct?
- Which row describes the reactions of magnesium hydroxide and magnesium oxide?
- The properties of an element are listed.
Its melting point is 3414 C.
Some of its compounds are catalysts.
It has variable oxidation states.
Where is the element found in the Periodic Table?
- Petrol burns in a car engine to produce waste gases which leave through the car exhaust.
One of these waste gases is an oxide of nitrogen.
Which statement describes how this oxide of nitrogen is formed?
A Carbon dioxide reacts with nitrogen in the catalytic converter.
B Nitrogen reacts with oxygen in the car engine.
C Nitrogen reacts with oxygen in the catalytic converter.
D Petrol combines with nitrogen in the car engine.
- Which combination of chemical compounds can be used to produce the fertiliser shown?
- Which process does not produce carbon dioxide?
- Which substance is used as a bleach in the manufacture of paper?
- What is an industrial use of calcium carbonate?
- Propane reacts with chlorine.
Which row shows a condition required for this reaction and identifies the type of reaction?
- The pie chart represents the composition of natural gas.
Which sector represents methane?
- Which statement describes the reaction between ethene and steam?
- The formula of a hydrocarbon is CxHy.
The equation for its complete combustion is shown.
- The formula of an ester is CH3CH2CH2COOCH2CH2CH3.
Which acid and alcohol react together to make the ester?
- Molecule 1 undergoes a process to make molecule 2.
- Which structure represents a protein?
Try the free Mathway calculator and
problem solver below to practice various math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own
problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.
We welcome your feedback, comments and questions about this site or page. Please submit your feedback or enquiries via our Feedback page.