IGCSE 2021 0610/22 May/June Question Paper (pdf)
IGCSE 2021 0610/22 May/June Mark Scheme (pdf)
- What is a characteristic of all living organisms?
- TThe bonobo and the chimpanzee are two closely related species.
What is the most accurate method of deciding how closely related species are?
A compare evolutionary relationships of other species
B compare the base sequences of their DNA
C compare their anatomy
D compare their morphology
- Scientists discover a new species of animal.
It has a segmented body with two pairs of legs on each segment.
To which group of animals does this new species belong?
- Which part of a cell makes glucose?
A cell membrane
- The diagram shows some of the blood vessels and other structures in the human body
The blood vessels shown are all parts of the same
C organ system.
- A photograph shows a plant cell nucleus measuring 2 mm across.
If the magnification of the cell is ×500, what is the actual size of the nucleus?
- By which process do oxygen and carbon dioxide move between cells and capillaries?
- Which process is involved in the uptake of glucose by the epithelial cells of kidney tubules?
A active transport
- Which element is found in proteins but not carbohydrates?
- The sequence of the bases present on one strand of a DNA molecule is shown.
Which sequence shows the bases present on the opposite strand?
- Starch is digested by amylase in the mouth, but it is not digested in the stomach.
What is the reason for this?
A All starch digestion is completed in the mouth.
B The pH in the stomach is not suitable for the amylase to work.
C The starch does not stay in the stomach long enough to be digested.
D The temperature in the stomach is not suitable for the amylase to work
- Which statement about an enzyme-controlled reaction is correct?
A During the reaction, the substrate changes into products.
B The enzyme is gradually used up during the reaction.
C The enzyme is slowly broken down during the reaction.
D The higher the temperature, the slower the reaction.
- A plant with striped leaves was kept in bright light for six hours.
A leaf was taken from the plant and the chlorophyll was removed. The leaf was then tested for
starch using iodine solution.
Which diagram shows the result of the test?
- The graph shows daily carbon dioxide uptake and transpiration by the plant Agave americana.
The plant is adapted to live in very dry conditions.
What can be concluded from this graph?
A More stomata are closed during dark periods.
B More stomata are closed during light periods.
C There is no carbon dioxide uptake during dark periods.
D There is no water uptake during light periods.
- Statements 1 to 4 describe stages in the development of cholera.
- The diagram shows part of the human body.
Which statement about organs X and Y is correct?
A X absorbs more water from food than Y.
B X does not absorb water from food.
C Y absorbs more water from food than X.
D Y does not absorb water from food.
- Which sequence describes the pathway taken by water as it moves through a plant?
- The diagram shows a plant at different times of year.
- How does blood enter the heart?
A through arteries into the atria
B through arteries into the ventricles
C through veins into the atria
D through veins into the ventricles
- What is the sequence of organs that blood passes through during one circulation of the body of a
- A child is vaccinated against measles. After a period of time the child is infected with the measles
The graph shows the concentration of measles antibodies in the child’s bloodstream during this
- Which sequence of changes takes place when we breathe in?
- What is the link between muscle contraction, protein synthesis and the maintenance of a constant
A They are controlled by hormones.
B They are examples of homeostasis.
C They require energy.
D They require carbon dioxide.
- After vigorous exercise, an athlete continues to breathe deeply during the recovery period.
During this recovery period the oxygen debt is removed.
Which reaction is used to remove the oxygen debt?
A aerobic respiration of lactic acid in the liver
B aerobic respiration of lactic acid in the muscles
C anaerobic respiration of lactic acid in the liver
D anaerobic respiration of lactic acid in the muscles
- The diagram shows some of the organs in the human body.
- What is the result of the release of adrenaline?
- A person’s skin looks more red in a warm environment than it does in a cool environment.
Which explanation is correct?
A The arterioles supplying capillaries in the skin vasodilate and less blood flows to the skin
B The arterioles supplying capillaries in the skin vasodilate and more blood flows to the skin
C The arterioles supplying capillaries in the skin vasoconstrict and more blood flows to the skin
D The arterioles supplying capillaries in the skin vasoconstrict and less blood flows to the skin
- The diagram shows a plant next to a window.
- The graph shows how smoking different numbers of cigarettes for different lengths of time affects
the risk of lung cancer.
- The life cycle of aphids includes both sexual and asexual reproduction.
- Modern agricultural methods often use artificial insemination (AI) to breed dairy cattle
- The Tasmanian devil is an animal with seven pairs of chromosomes in each body cell.
The diagram shows the chromosomes in a cell from a Tasmanian devil.
- Some statements about mitosis are listed.
- Coat colour in cattle is controlled by two codominant alleles.
- Which feature would help a plant to survive in a dry environment?
A large leaves
B many stomata
C small roots
D thick waxy cuticle
- What occurs as a result of artificial selection?
A antibiotic resistance in bacteria
B disease resistant crops
C presence of roots in cactus plants
D sickle cell anaemia
- Which type of energy is passed from organism to organism in a food chain?
- The diagram shows a food web.
- Bacteria can be used to make human proteins.
Which statement explains why this is possible when a human gene is placed in a bacterial cell?
A Bacteria are able to reproduce rapidly.
B Bacteria are very small organisms.
C Bacteria contain genetic material in plasmids.
D Bacteria have the same genetic code as humans.
- The process of eutrophication begins with the increased availability of nitrate ions and other ions
Try the free Mathway calculator and
problem solver below to practice various math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own
problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.
We welcome your feedback, comments and questions about this site or page. Please submit your feedback or enquiries via our Feedback page.