More Lessons for Grade 5 Math
Examples, videos, worksheets, solutions, and activities to help Grades 5 students learn how to solve fraction word problems.
Fraction Word Problems
1. If you ran 3 1/2 miles yesterday and 5 1/4 miles today, how much further did you run today?
2. There are 20 people in your class. If 1/4 of the class went on a trip, how many went?
3. 1/2 of your class play sports. Of those 1/4 are in the band. What fraction of your class play sports and sre in the band?
4. Alice spends 1/4 of her income on food and 1/2 of her income on rent. How much of Alice's income is spent on food and rent?
5. If one can weighs 2 1/2 lb, how much will 1 1/2 can weighs?
6. If you have 3/4 lb of food to be shared among 3 dogs, how much will each get?
7. If you have 3/4 lb of food and need 1/4 lb per dog, how many dogs can you feed?
8. A recipe calls for 7 1/2 lb of carrots. How much carrots will you need for 2 1/2 recipes?
9. Alice took a trip of 18 3/4 miles and used 7 1/2 gallons of gasoline. How many miles per gallon was that?
Word problems with fractions
1. A board measures 64 5/8 inches and needs to be cut in half. Find the length of each half.
2. An athlete jogs 1 3/8 miles, 5 3/4 miles, and 3 5/8 miles. In all, how far does the athlete jog?
Fraction Word Problem
Solving a Fraction word problem
A Grand Prix race consists of 180 km. After 30 minutes of racing, driver A completed 3/4 of the course while driver B completed 5/6 of the course.
a) Which driver had covered the greater distance?
b) How many kilometres does each driver still have to complete?
Multiplying Fractions - Solving Word Problems
1. Janice is preparing a recipe that calls for 3/4 of a cup of oil per serving. If Janice needs to prepare 2 and 2/3 servings, how many cups of oil will she need?
2. Jamaal is running at a rate of 2 and 2/3 miles per hour. At that rate how far will Jamaal have run in 1 and 1/8 hours?
Rotate to landscape screen format on a mobile phone or small tablet to use the Mathway widget, a free math problem solver that answers your questions with step-by-step explanations.
You can use the free Mathway calculator and problem solver below to practice Algebra or other math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.
We welcome your feedback, comments and questions about this site or page. Please submit your feedback or enquiries via our Feedback page.