More Lessons for IGCSE Physics
A series of free GCSE/IGCSE Physics Notes and Lessons.
Efficiency of Energy Transfer
The following diagram gives the formula for energy efficiency. Scroll down the page for more examples and solutions on how to use the formula.
In this lesson, we will
• Describe what is meant by efficiency of energy transfer.
• How to calculate energy efficiency.
• Describe ways to increase the efficiency of energy transfer.
1. An electric hob is used to heat water. 15,000 J of thermal energy is transferred by the hob. 12,000 J of thermal energy passes into the water. Calculate the efficiency of energy transfer into the water.
2. An electric current delivers a power of 60 watts to a light bulb. 3 watts of electrical energy are transferred to light energy. Calculate the efficiency of the bulb.
Efficiency of appliances
Conservation of energy and what happens to wasted energy.
How to calculate the efficiency of appliances?
Try the free Mathway calculator and
problem solver below to practice various math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own
problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.
We welcome your feedback, comments and questions about this site or page. Please submit your feedback or enquiries via our Feedback page.