Common Core for Grade 6
More Lessons for Grade 6
Examples, solutions, videos, and lessons to help Grade 6 students learn to fluently add, subtract, multiply, and divide multi-digit decimals using the standard algorithm for each operation.
Common Core: 6.NS.3
Suggested Learning Targets
Component Skills from Previous Grades
- I can add, subtract, multiply, and divide multi-digit decimals
- I can use the standard algorithm when necessary.
- I can fluently add, subtract, multiply, and divide multi-digit decimals using the standard
algorithm for each operation with speed and accuracy, without math tools (i.e.,
|5.NBT.7 Add & Subtract Decimals
5.NBT.7 Multiply & Divide Decimals
Add, subtract, multiply, and divide decimals to hundredths, using concrete models or drawings and strategies based on place value, properties of operations, and/or the relationship between addition and subtraction; relate the strategy to a written method and explain the reasoning used.
The following diagram gives the operations for decimals: add, subtract, multiply and divide. Scroll down the page for more examples and solutions.
6.NS.3 - Adding and Subtracting Decimals
A decimal point is a dot that is used to separate the whole number from the fractional part of a number.
To add or subtract decimals:
1) Write the numbers vertically with the decimals lined up (if the number is a whole number then the decimal goes on the right end of the number)
2) Add zeros to make sure there are the same number of digits in each number.
3) Add or subtract as normal.
6.NS.3 - Multiply and Divide Decimals
To Multiply Decimals:
1) Multiply like normal.
2) Count all the decimal place values.
3) Move the decimal that many places to the left.
4) Estimate to check.
To Divide Decimals:
1) Move decimal in divisor to make a whole number.
2) Move decimal in dividend the same amount of spaces.
3) Rewrite problem.
4) Divide like normal.
5) Bring the decimal up.
Rotate to landscape screen format on a mobile phone or small tablet to use the Mathway widget, a free math problem solver that answers your questions with step-by-step explanations.
You can use the free Mathway calculator and problem solver below to practice Algebra or other math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.
We welcome your feedback, comments and questions about this site or page. Please submit your feedback or enquiries via our Feedback page.