Questions And Worked Solutions For Chemistry WCH14 January 2021
IAL Chemistry WCH14 January 2021 Questions - Complete Paper (pdf)
- Which of these has the highest standard molar entropy at 298 K and 1 atm pressure?
- The entropy change of the surroundings
- Which equation represents the standard enthalpy change of atomisation
- This question is about four ionic compounds
- The standard enthalpy change of solution of potassium chloride, KCl, is +17 kJ mol−1.
- The total entropy change
- Propanone reacts with iodine in the presence of a catalyst of dilute hydrochloric acid.
The reaction occurs in aqueous solution.
- The rate equation for a reaction is
- This question is about weak acids.
- A titration was carried out by adding 0.1 mol dm−3 hydrochloric acid to
0.1 mol dm−3 aqueous ammonia.
- A diprotic acid, H2A, was titrated with sodium hydroxide solution.
- A sample of a bromoalkane, RBr, containing a single optical isomer reacts with
hydroxide ions in an SN1 mechanism.
- A compound X, with molecular formula C5H10O , gave an orange precipitate with
- Propyl ethanoate, CH3COOCH2CH2CH3 , is hydrolysed with aqueous sodium hydroxide.
Which products are formed?
- 2.95 g of ethanoic acid is produced from 2.50 g of ethanol.
What is the percentage yield of ethanoic acid?
- A mixture of organic compounds was analysed using thin-layer chromatography
- This question is about carboxylic acids and their derivatives.
- This question is about sulfuric acid and its salts.
(a) The manufacture of sulfuric acid involves the equilibrium
(i) A catalyst of vanadium(V) oxide is used in this reaction.
State the effect, if any, of the catalyst on the value of the
equilibrium constant, Kp.
(ii) The temperature used for this reaction in industry is 700 K.
Explain, in terms of the equilibrium constant and the equilibrium position, the
effect of an increase in temperature on the equilibrium yield of sulfur trioxide.
(iii) Write the expression for the equilibrium constant, Kp , for this equilibrium.
State symbols are not required.
(iv) A mixture of 2.00 mol of sulfur dioxide and 1.00 mol of oxygen is allowed to
reach equilibrium at 5.00 atm pressure.
1.60 mol of sulfur trioxide is formed.
Calculate the value of Kp .
Include units and give your answer to an appropriate number of
(b) Sulfur trioxide is used to produce sulfuric acid.
(i) Commercial concentrated sulfuric acid contains 98.5 % H2SO4 and
1.5 % water by mass.
The density of concentrated sulfuric acid is 1800 g dm−3.
Calculate the concentration of this sulfuric acid in mol dm−3.
(ii) The pH of a 0.10 mol dm−3 solution of sulfuric acid at 25 °C is 0.97.
Calculate the concentration of hydrogen ions, in mol dm−3, in this solution
(iii) In an aqueous solution of sulfuric acid, the following equilibria exist.
(c) A buffer solution is made from HSO4− and SO42- ions
- This question is about carbonyl compounds.
(a) The skeletal formula of menthone is shown.
Try the free Mathway calculator and
problem solver below to practice various math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own
problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.
We welcome your feedback, comments and questions about this site or page. Please submit your feedback or enquiries via our Feedback page.