Plans and Worksheets for Grade 4
Plans and Worksheets for all Grades
Lessons for Grade 4
Common Core For Grade 4
Videos, examples, solutions, and lessons to help Grade 4 students learn to solve multi-step word problems posed with whole numbers and having whole-number answers using the four operations, including problems in which remainders must be interpreted. Represent these problems using equations with a letter standing for the unknown quantity. Assess the reasonableness of answers using mental computation and estimation strategies including rounding.
Common Core: 4.OA.3
Suggested Learning Targets
- I can choose the correct operation to solve a multi-step word problem.
- I can interpret the meaning of the remainder in a word problem.
- I can assess the reasonableness of answers using mental computation and estimation strategies including rounding.
Which operations to use?
Multi-Step Word Problems
Check Your Answers
Estimate to judge the reasonableness of an answer - 4.OA.3
In this lesson, you will learn to judge the reasonableness of an answer by estimating.
1. It took me 38 minutes to take the train. Then another 11 minutes to walk to the football stadium. My family members guessed how long the trip will take me. Which guesses are reasonable?
2. A beekeeper has 3,216 bees and wants to distribute them evenly among 8 new hives. How many bees can go in each hive? Classify each value below as a reasonable or unreasonable answer to the problem.
Estimating Sums and Differences
Estimating sums and differences of whole numbers using compatible numbers, front end estimation, and rounding.
Try the free Mathway calculator and
problem solver below to practice various math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own
problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.
We welcome your feedback, comments and questions about this site or page. Please submit your feedback or enquiries via our Feedback page.