In these lessons, we will learn how to estimate and measure the area of a variety of shapes. We have videos and resources suitable for Grade 4 Math.
More Lessons for Grade 4 math
Area is the measure of space inside a region.
Objects of different shapes can have the same area.
The following figures all have an area of 5 square units although their shapes are different.
• the area of a region remains the same when the region is rearranged.
• area can be measured in non-standard or standard units for area.
• the smaller the unit of measure the greater the number of units needed to measure a given area.
• when comparing area, the same unis must be used.
• standard units for area include cm2 and m2.
• for a given area there are usually many different rectangles that can be drawn.
The following is a sample Frayer Model for Area.