High School Math based on the topics required for the Regents
Exam conducted by NYSED. The following are the worked solutions
for the Algebra 2/Trigonometry (Common Core) Regents High School Examination
More Lessons for the Regents High School Exam
More Lessons for Algebra
Algebra 2/Trigonometry Common Core Regents New York State Exam - January 2015, Questions 1 - 39
The following are questions from the past paper Regents High School Algebra 2/Trigonometry, June 2015 Exam (pdf)
Scroll down the page for the step by step solutions.
Algebra 2/Trigonometry - January 2015 Regents - Part 1: Questions 1 - 14
1. In triangle FGH, f = 6, g = 9, and m∠H = 57. Which statement can be
used to determine the numerical value of h?
2. The table of values below can be modeled by which equation?
3. The equation loga
x = y where x > 0 and a > 1 is equivalent to
4. Which expression is equivalent to the sum of the sequence
6, 12, 20, 30?
5. An investment is earning 5% interest compounded quarterly. The
equation A = P(1+r/n)nt
represents the total amount of money, A,
where P is the original investment, r is the interest rate, t is the
number of years, and n represents the number of times per year the
money earns interest.
Which graph could represent this investment over at least 50 years?
6. Which equation has real, rational, and unequal roots?
7. Which statement is true about the graphs of f and g shown below?
8. The common ratio of the sequence -1/2, 3/4, -9/8 is
9. How many different ways can teams of four members be formed
from a class of 20 students?
10. If sin A = 3/8 , what is the value of cos 2A?
11. When factored completely, the expression x3
- 9x + 18
is equivalent to
12. When -3 - 2i is multiplied by its conjugate, the result is
13. A circle with center O and passing through the origin is graphed computations.
14. Which expression is equivalent to (5-2
Algebra 2/Trigonometry - January 2015 Regents - Part 1: Questions 15 - 27
15. Which trigonometric expression does not simplify to 1?
17. What is the product of the roots of 4x2
- 5x = 3?
18. How many different 11-letter arrangements are possible using the
letters in the word “ARRANGEMENT”?
19. What is the third term in the expansion of (2x - 3)5
20. Angle θ is in standard position and (-4,0) is a point on the
terminal side of θ. What is the value of sec θ?
21. The domain of f(x) = -3/√(2-x) is the set of all real numbers
22. Which equation could be used to solve 5/(x-3) - 2/x = 1?
23. How many distinct triangles can be constructed if m∠A = 30,
side a = √34 and side b = 12?
24. The expression (3/2 x + 1)(3/2 x - 1) - (3/2x - 1)2
is equivalent to
25. The table below shows five numbers and their frequency of
26. A wheel has a radius of 18 inches. Which distance, to the nearest
inch, does the wheel travel when it rotates through an angle of 2π/5 radians?
27. If f(x) = 4x2
- x + 1, then f(a + 1) equals
Algebra 2/Trigonometry - January 2015 Regents - Questions 28 - 39
28. If p and q vary inversely and p is 25 when q is 6, determine q when p is equal to 30
30. Solve e4x
= 12 algebraically for x, rounded to the nearest hundredth.
31. Determine, to the nearest minute, the degree measure of an angle of 5/11 π radians.
32. The probability of Ashley being the catcher in a softball game is 2/5. Calculate the exact
probability that she will be the catcher in exactly five of the next six games.
33. If x is a real number, express 2xi(i - 4i2
) in simplest a + bi form.
34. On a test that has a normal distribution of scores, a score of 57 falls one standard deviation below
the mean, and a score of 81 is two standard deviations above the mean. Determine the mean score
of this test.
35. The area of a parallelogram is 594, and the lengths of its sides are 32 and 46. Determine, to the
nearest tenth of a degree, the measure of the acute angle of the parallelogram.
36. The table below shows the amount of a decaying radioactive substance that remained for selected
years after 1990.
Write an exponential regression equation for this set of data, rounding all values to the nearest
Using this equation, determine the amount of the substance that remained in 2002, to the nearest
37. Use the recursive sequence defined below to express the next three terms as fractions reduced
to lowest terms.
38. The periodic graph below can be represented by the trigonometric equation y = a cos bx + c
where a, b, and c are real numbers.
State the values of a, b, and c, and write an equation for the graph.
39. A homeowner wants to increase the size of a rectangular deck that now measures 14 feet by
22 feet. The building code allows for a deck to have a maximum area of 800 square feet. If the
length and width are increased by the same number of feet, find the maximum number of whole
feet each dimension can be increased and not exceed the building code.
[Only an algebraic solution can receive full credit.]
Rotate to landscape screen format on a mobile phone or small tablet to use the Mathway widget, a free math problem solver that answers your questions with step-by-step explanations.
You can use the free Mathway calculator and problem solver below to practice Algebra or other math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.
We welcome your feedback, comments and questions about this site or page. Please submit your feedback or enquiries via our Feedback page.