High School Math based on the topics required for the Regents Exam conducted by NYSED. The following are the worked solutions for the Algebra 1 (Common Core) Regents High School Examination August 2015.
More Lessons for the Regents High School Exam
More Lessons for Algebra
The following are questions from the past paper Regents High School Algebra 1 August 2015 Exam (pdf).
Scroll down the page for the step by step solutions.
Algebra 1 - August 2015 Regents - Q #1 - 12
Algebra 1 - August 2015 Regents - Q #13 - 24
13. The zeros of the function f(x) = 3x2 - 3x - 6 are
14. Which recursively defined function has a first term equal to 10 and computations. a common difference of 4?
15. Firing a piece of pottery in a kiln takes place at different temperatures for different amounts of time. The graph below shows the temperatures in a kiln while firing a piece of pottery after the kiln is preheated to 200°F.
16. Which graph represents f(x)?
17. If f(x) = x2 - 2x - 8 and g(x) = 1/4 x - 1, for which values of x is f(x) = g(x)?
18. Alicia has invented a new app for smart phones that two companies computations. are interested in purchasing for a 2-year contract
Company A is offering her $10,000 for the first month and will increase the amount each month by $5000.
Company B is offering $500 for the first month and will double their payment each month from the previous month.
Monthly payments are made at the end of each month. For which monthly payment will company B’s payment first exceed company A’s payment?
19. The two sets of data below represent the number of runs scored by two different youth baseball teams over the course of a season.
Team A: 4, 8, 5, 12, 3, 9, 5, 2
Team B: 5, 9, 11, 4, 6, 11, 2, 7
Which set of statements about the mean and standard deviation is true?
20. If Lylah completes the square for f(x) = x2 - 12x + 7 in order to find the minimum, she must write f(x) in the general form f(x) = (x - a)2 + b. What is the value of a for f(x)?
21. Which statement about these functions is true?
22. For which value of P and W is P + W a rational number?
23. The solution of the equation (x + 3)2 = 7 is
24. Which trinomial is equivalent to 3(x - 2)2 - 2(x - 1)?
Algebra 1 - August 2015 Regents - Q #25 - 37
25. Each day Toni records the height of a plant for her science lab. Her data are shown in the table below.
The plant continues to grow at a constant daily rate. Write an equation to represent h(n), the height of the plant on the nth day.
26. On the set of axes below, graph the inequality 2x + y > 1.
27. Rachel and Marc were given the information shown below about the bacteria growing in a Petri dish in their biology class.
Rachel wants to model this information with a linear function. Marc wants to use an exponential function. Which model is the better choice? Explain why you chose this model.
28. A driver leaves home for a business trip and drives at a constant speed of 60 miles per hour for 2 hours. Her car gets a flat tire, and she spends 30 minutes changing the tire. She resumes driving and drives at 30 miles per hour for the remaining one hour until she reaches her destination. On the set of axes below, draw a graph that models the driver’s distance from home.
29. How many real solutions does the equation x2 - 2x + 5 = 0 have? Justify your answer.
30. The number of carbon atoms in a fossil is given by the function y = 5100(0.95)x, where x represents the number of years since being discovered.
What is the percent of change each year? Explain how you arrived at your answer.
31. A toy rocket is launched from the ground straight upward. The height of the rocket above the ground, in feet, is given by the equation h(t) = -16t2 + 64t, where t is the time in seconds. Determine the domain for this function in the given context. Explain your reasoning.
32. Jackson is starting an exercise program. The first day he will spend 30 minutes on a treadmill. He will increase his time on the treadmill by 2 minutes each day. Write an equation for T(d), the time, in minutes, on the treadmill on day d. Find T(6), the minutes he will spend on the treadmill on day 6.
33. Graph f(x) = x2 and g(x) = 2x for x ≥ 0 on the set of axes below. State which function, f(x) or g(x), has a greater value when x = 20. Justify your reasoning.
34. Solve for x algebraically: 7x - 3(4x - 8) ≤ 6x + 12 - 9x. If x is a number in the interval [4,8], state all integers that satisfy the given inequality. Explain how you determined these values.
35. The volume of a large can of tuna fish can be calculated using the formula V = πr2h. Write an equation to find the radius, r, in terms of V and h. Determine the diameter, to the nearest inch, of a large can of tuna fish that has a volume of 66 cubic inches and a height of 3.3 inches.
36. The table below shows the attendance at a museum in select years from 2007 to 2013. State the linear regression equation represented by the data table when x 0 is used to represent the year 2007 and y is used to represent the attendance. Round all values to the nearest hundredth. State the correlation coefficient to the nearest hundredth and determine whether the data suggest a strong or weak association.
37. A rectangular picture measures 6 inches by 8 inches. Simon wants to build a wooden frame for the picture so that the framed picture takes up a maximum area of 100 square inches on his wall. The pieces of wood that he uses to build the frame all have the same width. Write an equation or inequality that could be used to determine the maximum width of the pieces of wood for the frame Simon could create. Explain how your equation or inequality models the situation. Solve the equation or inequality to determine the maximum width of the pieces of wood used for the frame to the nearest tenth of an inch.
Try the free Mathway calculator and
problem solver below to practice various math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own
problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.
We welcome your feedback, comments and questions about this site or page. Please submit your feedback or enquiries via our Feedback page.