May 2021 Physics 9702 Paper 12 (pdf)
- What is not a reasonable estimate of the physical property indicated?
- Which quantity could have units of N m V–1?
- An object is acted upon by two forces, 10 N in the vertical direction and 6 N at 40 to the vertical,
- An analogue ammeter with a range of 0–250 mA is connected into an electrical circuit. The
diagram shows the ammeter’s display.
- Students take readings of the volume of a liquid using three different pieces of measuring
equipment X, Y and Z.
- Which graph shows the variation with time t of the velocity v of an object falling vertically
downwards in a vacuum?
- A projectile is fired from point P with velocity V at an angle to the horizontal. It lands at point Q,
a horizontal distance R from P. Air resistance is negligible
- A book of weight W is at rest on a table. A student attempts to state Newton’s third law of motion
by saying that ‘action equals reaction’.
- Four balls are dropped at the same time from the top of a very tall tower. There is no wind
Which ball hits the ground first?
- A nitrogen molecule P travelling at a speed of 320 m s–1 in a vacuum collides with a stationary
nitrogen molecule Q.
- A charged particle is placed in a uniform field of force. The direction of the force on the particle is
opposite to the direction of the field.
- A disc of radius r is acted upon by two opposite forces, each of magnitude F. The forces form a
couple, as shown.
- A uniform square sign of weight 40 N is suspended vertically from its top edge by a horizontal
hinge, as shown.
- Each foot of an elephant has a circular cross-section with a circumference of 1.4 m. The elephant
has a mass of 5400 kg.
- A stone is falling vertically through the air at a constant (terminal) velocity.
- An object of weight 12 N rests on a platform on top of a container with two pistons, as shown. The
container contains a fixed mass of gas, and the pistons are free to move.
- A constant force F, acting on a car of mass m, moves the car up a slope through a distance s at
constant velocity v. The angle of the slope to the horizontal is .
- What is the definition of power?
- A steel bar of circular cross-section is under tension T, as shown
- Two guitar strings are stretched by tensile forces.
- Two lasers emit light in a vacuum. One laser emits red light and the other emits green light.
- Two particles in a progressive wave are a distance 10 cm apart. The two graphs show the
variation with time t of the displacement d of the two particles.
- A sound wave is detected by a microphone that is connected to a cathode-ray oscilloscope
- A person stands at the side of a straight railway track. A train moves towards the person and
emits sound from its whistle. The person hears a sound of frequency 1690 Hz as the train
- Which list shows electromagnetic waves in order of decreasing frequency?
- A pipe of length L is open at one end and closed at the other end. A loudspeaker is at the open
end and emits a sound wave into the pipe.
Which list shows these four regions in order of increasing wavelength?
- Which diagram best shows how water waves diffract when they pass through a gap in a barrier?
- In a two-source interference experiment, light of a single frequency is incident on a double slit.
- A parallel beam of light consists of light of wavelength 420 nm and light of wavelength 630 nm
Which change would cause the distance between the bright lines on the screen to be reduced?
- A positively charged particle P is in an electric field, as shown
- The diagram shows two parallel metal plates P and Q, separated by a distance of 5.0 mm. There
is a potential difference of 700V between the plates. Plate Q is earthed.
- A wedge-shaped metal conductor of length L, varying width and uniform thickness is connected
to a cell, as shown.
- The power output of an electrical supply is 2.4 kW at a potential difference (p.d.) of 240V. The
two wires between the supply and a kettle each have a resistance of 0.50, as shown.
- The graph shows the variation with potential difference V of the current I in components X, Y
- A wire of resistance 9.55 has a diameter of 0.280 mm.
- A cell of constant electromotive force (e.m.f.) but with internal resistance is connected to a fixed
resistor R using a potentiometer. A voltmeter measures the potential difference (p.d.) between
the terminals of the cell.
- A cell of electromotive force (e.m.f.) E and negligible internal resistance is connected to a circuit.
- Two resistors are connected in series with a 6.0V power supply, as shown.
- A nucleus of magnesium decays into a nucleus X by emitting a +
particle. The decay is
represented by the equation shown.
- In –
decay, a neutron inside a nucleus changes to a proton.
Try the free Mathway calculator and
problem solver below to practice various math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own
problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.
We welcome your feedback, comments and questions about this site or page. Please submit your feedback or enquiries via our Feedback page.