Videos and songs to help Grade 1 kids learn how to subtract multiples of 10 in the range 10-90 from multiples of 10 in the range 10-90 (positive or zero differences), using concrete models or drawings and strategies based on place value, properties of operations, and/or the relationship between addition and subtraction; relate the strategy to a written method and explain the reasoning used.
Common Core: 1.NBT.6
- I can subtract a multiple of 10 from a multiple of 10. (e.g., subtract 90 - 40)
- I can explain my strategy for subtracting a multiple of 10 from a multiple of 10.
- I can explain how subtracting by a multiple of ten is related to subtracting the tens digit.
- I know how to use base ten manipulatives, number lines or hundreds charts to model finding 10 less and explain reasoning
- I know the addition and subtraction fact families
- I know how to model subtraction using base ten manipulatives (e.g., base ten blocks, Digi-Blocks, Unifix cubes) and explain the process
- I know how to skip count by 10
More Lessons for Grade 1
Common Core for Grade 1
Subtracting tens from tens
10 - 10, 50 - 40, 70 - 20
Subtracting tens from tens / units.
Subtract a Multiple of 10 from a Two-Digit Number
This video explains how to subtract a multiple of 10 from a two-digit number, using concrete models and strategies based on place value. It uses number discs to show students how to solve out the following problems:
54 - 20 = ?
78 - 30 = ?