More Lessons for Grade 3
Videos, stories and songs to teach Grade 3 students how to reduce fractions.
How to find equivalent fractions?
Multiply both numerator and denominator by the same number.
How to find equivalent fractions with a specific denominator?
1. Find the number you must multiply the original denominator by to get the new denominator.
2. Multiply the numerator by the same number.
How to reduce or simplify fractions?
1. Find a number that is a factor of both the numerator and the denominator.
2. Divide both the numerator and denominator by that number.
3. Make sure that the fraction is in its simplest form by ensuring that both the numerator and denominator have no more factors in common.
If they do, repeat all 3 steps again.
Equivalent Fractions & Reducing Fractions
Math Basics: Reducing Fractions
Reducing a fraction to its simplest form means changing it to a fraction that has the same value as the original but uses smaller numbers.
Practice Reducing Fractions
Rotate to landscape screen format on a mobile phone or small tablet to use the Mathway widget, a free math problem solver that answers your questions with step-by-step explanations.
You can use the free Mathway calculator and problem solver below to practice Algebra or other math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.