Place Values (Grade 2)
Videos and songs to help Grade 2 students understand that the three
digits of a three-digit number represent amounts of hundreds, tens,
and ones; e.g., 706 equals 7 hundreds, 0 tens, and 6 ones.
Understand the following as special cases:
A. 100 can be thought of as a bundle of ten tens — called a
B. The numbers 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, 800, 900 refer to
one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, or nine hundreds
(and 0 tens and 0 ones).
Common Core: 2.NBT.1
Suggested Learning Target
- I can represent a hundred as ten groups of ten.
- I can represent each digit in a three-digit number using
hundreds, tens, and ones.
- I can explain the value of each digit in a three-digit number
- I can explain the value of the zeros in a given hundred as
zero tens and zero ones.
- I can use base ten manipulatives (e.g., base ten blocks,
Digi-Blocks, stacks of cubes, bundles of sticks, place value
- I know the value of each place in a number
- I know the value of a digit in a specific place
- I know that the placement of a digit affects the value of that
Lessons for Grade 2
Common Core for
Place Value (Hundreds, Tens and Ones)
Basic Place Value
How to use Base 10 Blocks to create different numbers and be able to
visualize the size of different place values in your head.
Place Value Lesson (Hundreds, Tens, Ones).
Teaching Place Value
This video uses animated base ten blocks to help students understand
place value up to the hundreds.
Teaching Place Value
Name the digits representing the different place value columns.
Place Value with Base 10 Blocks
Explore place value concepts with base-10 blocks.
Read and write 2-digit and 3-digit numbers
Build numbers with base-10 blocks.
Place Value Activity using beans and cups.
Making Math Fun with Place Value Games
Grade 2 / Math / Place Value
Make learning fun and incorporate practice with games.
Place Value Songs
Place value math song: ones, tens, hundreds
Have students sing along with the ones, tens, hundreds song! This
video should help learners memorize the three units places. Be sure
to pause the video to count the base ten blocks.
Place Value Song
Song about Ones, Tens, & Hundreds.