Videos to help Grade 4 students learn how to identify, define, and draw perpendicular lines.
Common Core Standards: 4.G.1
Plans and Worksheets for Grade 4
Plans and Worksheets for all Grades
Lessons for Grade 4
Common Core For Grade 4
New York State Common Core Math Module 4, Grade 4, Lesson 3
NYS Math Module 4 Grade 4 Lesson 3 Application Problem
1. Use a straight edge to draw and label line segment AB, CD, and EF as modeled on the board.
2. Estimate to draw point X halfway up line segment AB.
3. Estimate point Y halfway up line segment CD.
4. Draw horizontal line segment XY. What word did you write?
5. Erase segment XY. Draw segment CF. What word did you draw?
Lesson 3 Concept Development
Problem 1: Define perpendicular lines. Perpendicular lines are lines that intersect at right angles.
Problem 2: Identify perpendicular lines by measuring right angles with a right angle template.
Problem 3: Recognize and write symbols for perpendicular segments.
Lesson 3 Homework
1. On each object, trace at least one pair of lines that appear to be perpendicular.
3. In the square and triangular grids below, use the given segments in each grid to draw a line that is
perpendicular using a straightedge.
Lesson 3 Problem Set
4. Use the right angle template that you created in class to determine which of the following have a right
angle. Mark each right angle with a small square. For each right angle you find, name the corresponding
pair of perpendicular lines. (See 4(a) for one example of this.)