Measure Lengths (Grade 2)
Videos, lesson, and solutions, to help Grade 2 students learn to measure the length of an object by selecting and using appropriate tools such as rulers, yardsticks, meter sticks, and measuring tapes.
Estimate lengths using units of inches, feet, centimeters, and meters.
Common Core: 2.MD.1 and 2.MD.3
Suggested Learning Target
- I can select an appropriate tool (e.g., ruler, yardstick, meter stick, measuring tape) to measure an object.
- I can measure the length of an object using a tool.
- I can measure to the nearest inch, centimeter, yard, or meter
- I can explain why we use standard units of measurement instead of non- standard units
- I can estimate before measuring to help determine the appropriate measurement tool and unit
- I know the connection between a ruler and a number line
- I can measure real-world objects
- I can estimate the length of a given object in inches and feet.
- I can estimate the length of a given object in centimeters and meters.
More Lessons for Grade 2
Common Core for Grade 2
2nd grade Math Measuring inch 1/2 inch
This video will teach 2nd grade students how to use a ruler to measure to the nearest inch and 1/2 inch.
Measuring to the Nearest Inch and Half Inch
Inches are a customary unit of length. Learn how to use a ruler to measure to the nearest inch and half inch.
Measuring Length in Metres.
Measuring Length in Centimetres.
2nd grade Math Measuring cm 1/2 cm
This video highlights measuring to the nearest cm and 1/2 cm.
Lesson Measurement and Data - Mathematics Common Core
Which tool to use?
This lesson focuses on standards 2.MD.1, 2.MD.4, and 2.MD.9
Measure and estimate lengths in standard units. Using non-standard unit of measurement.
Using Tools to Measure.