Drawing Shapes (Grade 1)
Videos and songs to help Grade 1 kids learn how to distinguish between defining attributes (e.g., triangles are closed and three-sided) versus non-defining attributes (e.g., color, orientation, overall size); build and draw shapes to possess defining attributes.
Common Core: 1.G.1
- I can explain the difference between defining attributes (e.g., sides, angles, faces) and non-defining attributes (e.g., color, orientations, overall size).
- I can construct and draw a shape when given defining attributes.
- I can sort shapes (e.g., attribute blocks, polygon figures) by shape, number of sides, size or number of angles
- I can use geoboards, toothpicks, straws, paper and pencil, computer games to build shapes that possess the defining attributes
- I can explain how two shapes are alike or how they are different from each other
More Lessons for Grade 1
Common Core for Grade 1
Defining Attributes of Shapes - 1.G.1
This level is about identifying shapes and the defining attributes of shapes. It relates to standard 1.G.1 of the common core. Students learn about the difference between closed & open shapes, and the defining attributes of triangles, squares, rectangles & circles.
Distinguish between defining attributes versus non-defining attributes
Build and draw shapes that possess defining attributes.
Hands On with 3D Geometric Shapes
The kids had fun using toothpicks and marshmallows to make 3D shapes.
Rotate to landscape screen format on a mobile phone or small tablet to use the Mathway widget, a free math problem solver that answers your questions with step-by-step explanations.
You can use the free Mathway widget below to practice Algebra or other math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.