Word Problems involving Addition and Subtraction of Fractions
Videos to help Grade 4 students learn how solve word problems involving addition and subtraction of
Common Core Standards: 4.NF.3a,
Plans and Worksheets for Grade 4
Plans and Worksheets for all Grades
Lessons for Grade 4
Common Core For Grade 4
NYS Common Core Grade 4 Module 5, Lessons 19
Lesson 19 Concept Development
Problem 4: Use the RDW process to solve a word problem involving the subtraction of fractions.
Mrs. Jones had 1 4/8 pizzas left after a party. After giving some to Gary, she had 7/8 pizza left. What fraction of a
pizza did she give Gary?
One way is to rewrite the mixed number as 12/8 and subtract. The other method subtracts from the whole and adds back the
Lesson 19 Problem Set 1 & 2
Use the RDW process to solve.
1. Sue ran 9/10 mile on Monday and 7/10 mile on Tuesday. How many miles did Sue run in the 2 days?
2. Mr. Salazar cut his son’s birthday cake into equal pieces. Mr. Salazar, Mrs. Salazar, and the birthday boy
each ate 1 piece of cake. What fraction of the cake was left?
Lesson 19 Problem Set 3
3. Maria spent 4/7 of her money on a book and saved the rest. What fraction of her money did Maria save?
Lesson 19 Problem Set 4
4. Mrs. Jones had 1 4/8 pizzas left after a party. After giving some to Gary, she had 7/8 pizza left? What fraction
of a pizza did she give Gary?
Lesson 19 Problem Set 5
5. A baker had 2 pans of corn bread. He served 1 1/4 pans. What fraction of a pan was left?
Rotate to landscape screen format on a mobile phone or small tablet to use the Mathway widget, a free math problem solver that answers your questions with step-by-step explanations.
You can use the free Mathway widget below to practice Algebra or other math topics. Try the given examples, or type in your own problem and check your answer with the step-by-step explanations.